LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Head set clamp

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Just assembling my head set using a new mb clamp... Series 3 none chrome ring origional forks and head set just a new clamp. Head set is touching the legsheilds but the clamp needs to go down another 6 mm or so to locate the pinch bolt... Are repo clamp known to need fettling?

Cheers simon
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby Dicky » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Are you building up from scratch or just replacing the clamp? Do you have the original to compare
Dicky
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:01 pm

Dicky wrote:Are you building up from scratch or just replacing the clamp? Do you have the original to compare

From scatch... Late jet only difference is the new clamp and italian headset, dont have the origional clamp

Cheers simon
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:01 pm

You haven't fitted the clamp on the wrong side of the headset casting have you? I've done that before and blamed parts before blushing.
dickie
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:09 pm

dickie wrote:You haven't fitted the clamp on the wrong side of the headset casting have you? I've done that before and blamed parts before blushing.
dickie wrote:You haven't fitted the clamp on the wrong side of the headset casting have you? I've done that before and blamed parts before blushing.


Nope....clamp on top...frame forks and legsheilds are origional as it came from the factory... The only difference is the new clamp and im using an italian headset set
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:11 pm

Ive just tried with the clamp fitted underneath.. The pinch bolt lines up but the there is too big a gap between the legsheilds and headset
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:48 pm

You're right off course.....I made the opposite mistake.

I'll get my coat :lol:
dickie
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Head set clamp

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:50 pm

Will the legshields go lower?
dickie
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:01 pm

dickie wrote:Will the legshields go lower?



Nope...legsheilds are on as low as they will go...any lower and the steering lock plate willbe exposed... As they are now, the upper edge of the legsheilds are sitting more or less flush with the top edge of the steering lock plate... It all looks pretty good apart from the slot on the forks and tge pinch bolt are a good 6 or 7mm out of line... I could slot a bit more out of the forks but the bolt would then be very close to the top edge of the fork tube
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby Freight10 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi, no idea if you've changed the fork bearings during your build but I made a schoolboy error recently with mine, I put the Fork Steering Lower Bearing Dust Cover upside down, it looked right but had exactly the same problem your having, took me an age to work out where I had gone wrong, I only really found it cos I literally stripped the whole lot out again and started from scratch.. just a thought if you've done the bearings.
User avatar
Freight10
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Freight10 wrote:Hi, no idea if you've changed the fork bearings during your build but I made a schoolboy error recently with mine, I put the Fork Steering Lower Bearing Dust Cover upside down, it looked right but had exactly the same problem your having, took me an age to work out where I had gone wrong, I only really found it cos I literally stripped the whole lot out again and started from scratch.. just a thought if you've done the bearings.


New bearings but didnt remove the dust cover.... Will try and borrow a genuine clamp to see if this is the issue
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby roli150lam » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:23 am

you did remove the old lower bearing,you haven't installed the new bearing on top of the old?
roli150lam
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:33 pm

roli150lam wrote:you did remove the old lower bearing,you haven't installed the new bearing on top of the old?


Frame stripped and blasted, powder coated. I checked and fitted new bearings... Forks will be comming out tonight for another coat of looking at

Cheers Simon
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:10 pm

Check the fork stem length.

I think that some forks are considerably shorter & my theory is that the ones I have came with a late SX200 which was probably assembled in Spain, but not as an Eibar/Spanish model.

I made up a distance piece/plug to sit atop the stem to allow clamping, but I will change the forks......eventually.
Warkton Tornado No.1
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: Head set clamp

Postby hullygully » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:47 pm

+1 yup check your fork length Si
hullygully
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Hull

Re: Head set clamp

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:04 pm

hullygully wrote:+1 yup check your fork length Si


Thanks for that :D & it jogged my memory further......bear with me!

Elsewhere on this Forum, currently much more knowledgeable people than I, are discussing the idiosyncrasies of Spanish production. So, I might not look too silly saying this (Gulp!) but I think the SX200 (F reg) I have was built with the aforementioned forks, non-chrome ring BUT with the lower TV headset.

The problem I had was as the result of me swapping the headset when the scoot was repainted/rebuilt for the 'correct' higher SX headset.
Warkton Tornado No.1
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:37 pm

Think ive sussed it....late jet forks, late jet frame a matching pair. Headset is italian none chrome ring.... So the Spanish and italian headsets are slightly different apart from tge obvious lights in the headset top....from a bit of reading up... Chrome ring headset Should fit?
Cheers simon
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks

Re: Head set clamp

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:35 pm

a-teamlambretta wrote:Think ive sussed it....late jet forks, late jet frame a matching pair. Headset is italian none chrome ring.... So the Spanish and italian headsets are slightly different apart from tge obvious lights in the headset top....from a bit of reading up... Chrome ring headset Should fit?
Cheers simon


Personally, I think the combination of the lower (chrome ring type) headset without the chrome ring looks better.

So. Next question.....Presuming they are OEM, what legshields do you have? Are they 'arched' just below the headset or straight, please?
Warkton Tornado No.1
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: Head set clamp

Postby a-teamlambretta » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
a-teamlambretta wrote:Think ive sussed it....late jet forks, late jet frame a matching pair. Headset is italian none chrome ring.... So the Spanish and italian headsets are slightly different apart from tge obvious lights in the headset top....from a bit of reading up... Chrome ring headset Should fit?
Cheers simon


Personally, I think the combination of the lower (chrome ring type) headset without the chrome ring looks better.

So. Next question.....Presuming they are OEM, what legshields do you have? Are they 'arched' just below the headset or straight, please?


Both are oem, its just the clamp and headset that are replacements. The legsheilds have a slight arch. Ive slotted out the brackets on the legsheilds and managed to get them to sit a little lower.. Also trimmed a couple of mm off the legsheilds at the top, so now fitting quite well and no need to enlarge the notch in the fork tube.
Cheers Simon
User avatar
a-teamlambretta
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: gilberdyke, east yorks


Return to Series 1, 2 & 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests