LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Any electrical boffins - Vape DC power capailities

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Any electrical boffins - Vape DC power capailities

Postby Mark97 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 pm

Im running a Vape DC system on both mine and was hoping for some electrickery advice...

I want to hard-wire up a loom for a pair of heated gloves that apparently uses around 2 amp/hour.

So does any one know how much power a Vape DC creates - which I think is measured in watts - but how do you convert that to amps/hour back into the battery??

And will that still be sufficient to power things like the gloves, a sat-nav, a Mychron rev counter gizmo and be able to charge a phone.

I have wired in a seperate fused loom to power the Mychron and a Usb outlet - which is independent of the scooters DC loom as if there was any issues at least I know the scooters loom is entirely seperate...

The gloves have their own fused loom tp gp directly to the battery as I'm told they cant be wired via a USB port as they cant provide enough power??

And what size battery amp/hour should I really be fitting??

Its all a bit of a minefield so any help or recommendations would be appreciated

TIA....
Mark97

Re: Any electrical boffins - Vape DC power capailities

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 pm

Ok.
So, If each grip consumes 2A amps of current @ 12V then the power consumed = 2A x 12V which is 24watts per grip. So, x2 grips is a total of 48W. ( a really good pair of heated grips would normally pull around 70W)
Assume 25W for the headlight and 6W for the tail light making a total of 79 Watts.

The Vape is rated at 110Watts, but unlike a car alternator, the scoot needs to be doing in excess of 2000 RPM to acheive this power output level. On the face of it this looks good.
So, when sat at traffic lights at night, the battery will take over supplying the demand until you can get going again.

If sat at tickover for too long of course the load will start to drain the battery. But once you are away making revs again then the battery will also call upon the vape to provide it with juice to top up its charge as well as keeping your hands warm and the road ahead lit.
No need to consider your other devices really as their power consumption is negligible.
110W -79W = 31Watts available to recharge the battery when the lights are on which is about 2.5 amps of charge which is enough.
Make sure that the grips are wired back to the battery via an inline fuse directly. Don't pick up the supply from inside the headset because the scoots wiring loom isn't heavy enough to handle this level of total current.
The standard 7A/hour rated battery should be fine.

Hope this is helpful
let us know how you get on. :)
Fast n Furious

Postby Mark97 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:46 pm

They are gloves and the pair take a total of 2 amps/hr - they have their own dedicated loom back to the battery which is indeed fused.

I was also looking at adding all sorts of other heated stuff as I have a very cold tour planned soon and again in October - so want to make sure the Vape can power sufficiently into the battery to counteract the draw from it.

If I wire the accessory loom as a seperate unit as I have done - I think that's the best bet - as I can live with been cold and having no gauges - but don't want to overload the scooter wiring loom...

I currently run a small 5amp/hr battery so will probably need to go bigger - perhaps 7 or 8amp/hr - to ensure I have enough power in reserve in that case??
Mark97

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:12 am

Hmm. Not tried those gloves.
How much of the glove gets heated? Is it just the finger and thumb parts?
Seems like a good plan.
How does the electrical connection work? Do the gloves connect via an elastic lead to a socket grafted on the headset allowing you to take your hands off the bars to make a turn signal indication for example?

I think your 5A/hr battery should suffice unless you plan sitting at tickover for a long time.
It might be a problem if you plan crossing London at rush hour. :lol: :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby Mark97 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:45 am

The wires go up each sleeve and down thru your jacket to a controller which can be easily turned up and down to get different heat settings - that then connects to a wiring harness via a detachable plug so you have to remember to un-plug that when you get off the scooter. I'll run my wiring loom up thru the frame loop and have the plug come out under the front of the seat I reckon so its all tucked out of the way - so it leaves your hands totally free and the connection is made under the bottom of your jacket for ease of access to unplug it....

They really are very warm all over the hands and between the fingers - am very impressed - especially at how little I paid for them - Ebay second-hand - proper bargain. Didnt want to spend a fortune in case they were no good but because these are full 12v I reckon they are a much better bet.
Mark97

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 pm

I struggle to enjoy a ride out these days when my fingers are numb and frozen during spring and autumn months. Think I may invest in a pair of those gloves.
Mark....Do they have a detachable plug around the wrist area so you can easily get a glove off when you need to?
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:08 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:I struggle to enjoy a ride out these days when my fingers are numb and frozen during spring and autumn months. Think I may invest in a pair of those gloves.
Mark....Do they have a detachable plug around the wrist area so you can easily get a glove off when you need to?

I feel your pain, literally. A few months ago, I invested in a pair of these. They make such a difference. I wish I had bought a set years ago. Dead comfy too. I had one of the power packs go down but I went back to the dealers I bought them from. They said RST would provide me another set without quibble and they were right.

Sorry to digress from the original question :)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... gKYxfD_BwE
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:42 pm

Paul, So these are a pair of gloves, and each glove has its own power pack to heat the glove. So there is no lead to connect the glove to the battery on the scooter.

Are the battery packs rechargeable via USB?
Knowledge

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 pm

That would be more convenient, if the battery capacity is sufficient for a days cold riding and then just recharge them from a mains / USB power adaptor at your destination, as well as having the option to run them directly from the scoot's battery. :idea:
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:49 pm

Knowledge wrote:Paul, So these are a pair of gloves, and each glove has its own power pack to heat the glove. So there is no lead to connect the glove to the battery on the scooter.

Are the battery packs rechargeable via USB?

Yes, but they are rechargeable via a plug, not USB. They have three heat settings. The mid setting lasts 5 or 6 hours so doesn’t last a whole day.
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:07 pm

Hey Paul, if it is cold enough to wear heated gloves, then I think I would chose a journey that lasts less than 5 hours.

Probably a lot less that that, TBH.
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:59 pm

Knowledge wrote:Hey Paul, if it is cold enough to wear heated gloves, then I think I would chose a journey that lasts less than 5 hours.

Probably a lot less that that, TBH.

I suffer from Raynaulds, mate, and it’s got a lot worse in the last year. I’d put the lower heat setting on at anything below about 10 degrees :shock:
Storkfoot

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 pm

Exactly. Scooter riding isn't much fun if you are suffering. Whatever it takes to make it comfortable as well as fun.... Bring it on.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3