LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gp flywheel bearing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Gp flywheel bearing

Postby Phil D » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 pm

al pushpak wrote:thanks for all your input, certainly gives me plenty of options ;) just curious about the oven/camping stove method, does this damage the bearing ? as in my case I want to re use it once I've replaced the small mag seal. thanks again ;)

TBH it's my least favourite job I knackered an original mag due to a school boy error . :oops:
The camping stove I use (old car boot camping gaz find) has an ideal sized burner to heat the mag and not the bearing.
As someone suggests a piece of flat circular steel to cover the hole is a good idea as it keeps the direct flame off the bearing and also stops melted grease dripping onto the flame.
It's also a good idea to get everything you think you'll need close to hand( thick gloves safety glasses etc)unlike me who ends up like a headless chicken . :lol:
Phil D

Postby nickw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:Crank the oven up to gas Mk9.
Place mag housing in an old baking tray.

Tony Class did this in a hotel on the Swedish Euro in 2008. Stank the whole hotel out lol and it took Tony's charm to calm the landlady down.
nickw

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:19 am

nickw wrote:
Fast n Furious wrote:Crank the oven up to gas Mk9.
Place mag housing in an old baking tray.

Tony Class did this in a hotel on the Swedish Euro in 2008. Stank the whole hotel out lol and it took Tony's charm to calm the landlady down.

That's why I said "Wait till the wife's out". Yes its a "needs must" method, as above, but it works.
Yes it does heat the bearing with the flange but the ally casing expands more than the bearing anyway allowing the bearing to drop out with a sharp tap.
Fast n Furious

Postby bike grim » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

I have recently used the camping cooker method and the bearing dropped out within a few minutes but it melted the outside of the plastic cage that holds the actual bearings. I wasn't intending to re use it but if you are I would make sure you put something on to protect it if you do it that way.
bike grim

Postby EddieStone » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:09 pm

I've always thought a camping stove was a bit risky as the flame can touch the plastic bit of the bearing. The electric hob worked as it heated the very outside of the mag, plus you can control the heat a bit easier compared to a gas burner which is either on or off.

The plastic cages are designed to withstand a bit of heat, bearing in mind it's in an engine, but probably not a gas flame.

An electric hot air gun also works, but takes forever.
EddieStone

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Personally I wouldn't re use a bearing I've already taken out.
Scooterdude

Postby Phil D » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Scooterdude wrote:Personally I wouldn't re use a bearing I've already taken out.

I would and do if it's in good Nik why not ?
Nearly had a coronary when I asked the price of new ones :lol:
Phil D

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3