LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Registering a Series One

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Registering a Series One

Postby Cortez the killer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 pm

As above...I`ve registered a few scoots over the years but not one this old. I`ve got the Nova and a dating letter...the question is...do I need an MOT certificate to register a 1959 Series One ??
Thanks
Cortez the killer

Re: Registering a Series One

Postby roli150lam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 pm

No.
roli150lam

Postby bolzenanker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

No
bolzenanker

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 pm

^ Correct , answer is no ^
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Cortez the killer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Cheers lads, excellent news. Supplementary question then..does the scoot need to be roadworthy? What would happen if the DVLA man came and inspected it and as it's just been imported it's in a rather unroadworthy condition, 50 year old bald tyres etc? Should I wait until it's up to mot standard before attempting to register it?
Cortez the killer

Postby Scooterlam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong.
So no mot required send off nova, dating cer,wealth form and fee.
Wait
See if they want to inspect.
If they do, does it need to run when they inspect?
Scooterlam

Postby Phil D » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:10 pm

So does a 64 need an MOT???
Phil D

Postby andrewgc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Tried to register mine , sent off the nova, dating cert ect to the dvla they rejected stating that an engineer visit was needed and the bike had to be roadworthy, so after a lot of work I hope to get it ready by end Feb early march.

It's a 1958 series 1 so not mot needed as it's classed as a historic vehicle
andrewgc

Postby Scooterlam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Phil D wrote:So does a 64 need an MOT???

Not next year.
Scooterlam

Postby Scooterlam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:04 pm

andrewgc wrote:Tried to register mine , sent off the nova, dating cert ect to the dvla they rejected stating that an engineer visit was needed and the bike had to be roadworthy, so after a lot of work I hope to get it ready by end Feb early march.

It's a 1958 series 1 so not mot needed as it's classed as a historic vehicle

There is a criteria to meet to be classed as historic.
Technically it has to be standard.
Auto conversions, chops etc might not meet this.
Scooterlam

Postby Danbretta » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:24 pm

I registered my series 2 (1959) about 3 or 4 years ago and all went through ok without any probs. This had just been imported and without a UK mot. Maybe things have changed since then or they select which ones they would like an engineer to check. I would apply and see what happens you may get lucky. I've been working on getting my series 3 ready for mot to apply but from next may it's mot exempt so I may just apply then and see what happens.
Good luck with your application.
Danbretta

Postby Jim Rose » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 am

I registered a Series 1 last year 1959 so no MOT. The engine didn't run, no cables were connected so no brakes; i'd given it a poor overcoat of black paint to cover the multiple different parts and fitted a series 3 front mudguard for the photo's I sent in. I had it inspected and it passed anyway! It's a lottery
Jim Rose

Postby Phil D » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:27 am

Jim Rose wrote:I registered a Series 1 last year 1959 so no MOT. The engine didn't run, no cables were connected so no brakes; i'd given it a poor overcoat of black paint to cover the multiple different parts and fitted a series 3 front mudguard for the photo's I sent in. I had it inspected and it passed anyway! It's a lottery

Just wondering why you sent photos in Jim??
So basically if you put together a complete scooter along with Nova , Bill of sale ,date cert that's all you need.
No insurance,No MOT

The inspector who did my Li was a nice guy but really I got the feeling all it was was a box ticking exercise .
Phil D

Postby Scooter Paul » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 am

If I’m following this correctly it seems that for a MOT exempt vehicle it’s potentially possible to register a box of bits or no bits at all providing the paperwork is in order? Surely this is a ringers charter. With an MOT someone has actually verified that the numbers exist and that it is a viable machine. Whilst I’m at it I’m going to say this whole ‘MOT exempt thing’ worries me. There’s a lot of folk in the classic vehicle scene that don’t know how to maintain their vehicles. How long before an un roadworthy machine causes a serious accident? MOT exempt will not be an excuse.
Scooter Paul

Postby Cortez the killer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:14 am

Agreed, Scooter Paul, the whole thing is a bit vague, typical DVLA I suppose. Also agree about pre-MOT age vehicles. I would suggest a `halfway house` scenario whereby you have to get an annual MOT but there is no pass or fail, that way you know if there is any serious defects that require attention and should an accident occur then you can`t use ignorance as a defence. Anyway, think I`ll wait until my S1 is somewhere near roadworthy before I register it, just in case.
Cortez the killer

Postby wurzel » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:33 am

My worry would be for the price of an MOT is it really worth risking the chance that, God forbid, you
had an accident, the insurance company would try and use it as a loophole not to pay out.
It's all right you saying it's roadworthy but when they turn round and say you're not qualified to make
the assumption it's roadworthy as you have no formal mechanical qualifications. It's also worth having
someone cast an eye over it just incase you've missed something and to back you up.
I also know an MOT only means it's roadworthy at the time it was tested, but for £25,ten bob a week,
if it's your pride and joy !!
wurzel

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Well....... as others have pointed out. An MOT certify's the vehicle as roadworthy at the time of the test. It means bugger all for the next 364 days. You can't use your MOT certificate as a means of defense in a court of law. So what use is it to you or anyone else if it can't protect you from prosecution? It just means that you have been compliant with a required procedure. A money making, box ticking exercise is all it is.
It doesn't matter if the vehicle is 3 years or 60 years old. You, (the rider / driver, not the owner) are responsible for the vehicles road worthiness.
I agree with the concerns about historic machines on the road that are owned by the irresponsible, irrespective of their age or how may brain cells they have left.
I fair cringe at the state of some machines that arrive through my door for service / repair. Most of which have been serviced in the past by so called motorcycle dealers.
It therefore stands that the same people doing this service work are also just as bad at doing MOT's.
If you are proper standup motorcyclist who is mechanically challenged, then find someone who does know his minerals. Surely, it's forums such as this that pave the way for a safe historic future not more numpty legislation.
Fast n Furious

Postby Jim Rose » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 am

The purpose of a DVLA inspection is primarily to check the frame and engine numbers are correct and that the numbers agree with the application form. The "engineers" I've met during inspection are only interested in the numbers although strangely they ask you to read the numbers to them (the engineer) rather than check them themselves! If you have the front you could read them whatever you like.

I always send in photos as proof of the existence of a scooter with at least one showing the chassis number. I don't know whether it helps or not.

The last engineer who came on an inspection was more interested in checking he had enough photo's for his report. Yes it is a tick box exercise and wide open to abuse.
Jim Rose

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Technically............ A vehicle only gains "Historic" status when the classification is changed on the V5. Just because it's +40 years old doesn't automatically make it historic, it just qualifies it to get classed as historic. The change of status has to be applied for. If your vehicle is +40 and has not had its classification changed, you will have to part with some hard earned when you come to tax it.
Fast n Furious

Postby rossclark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:51 am

It's also an underhand change to the definition of ’historic'.

The tax exemption didn't have any caveats other than the age. The MOT exemption applies a new stipulation that it should not be substantially altered - that definition is loosely given as no major mechanical alterations (so disk brake, suspension, tubeless wheels - anyone? ) or an increase in power more than a percentage above stock ( just about any kit / carb / pipe).
rossclark

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3