LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Varitronic regulator AC

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Varitronic regulator AC

Postby mr mugello » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Are all brands of AC 12 volt regulators compatible with Varitronic kits. Bulbs are blowing again on same system. Second replacement regulator to fail after about a thousand miles use roughly, since replacing with same small original regulator. What would cause the part to fail . Wired up as Varitronic diagram shown. Copper braided 3 point earth cable on strut, mag, regulator. Thanks
mr mugello

Re: Varitronic regulator AC

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm

These are shunt type regulators. They either use a very heavy Zener diode to dump the excess voltage or or a zener controlled thyristor. Either way, the excess power is shunted to earth.
With powerful magneto's, this excess can overload the regulator and burn it out, usually resulting in an open circuit. Therefore, no more regulation, which leads to your bulbs blowing.
The simplest way around this is to always make sure you run with your main lights on, so the regulator isn't having to dump all the power from the magneto to ground. It then just needs to dump the excess after your lights have taken their fill.
Its a good idea to always have your lights on anyway. So..... Win Win.
Fast n Furious

Postby bike grim » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Apparently the BGM regulator works with the varitronic set up.
bike grim

Postby mr mugello » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks. I had a read through Cambridge Lambretta notes and they do mention this kit relies heavily on good earths to work correctly. Looking at a couple of wiring diagrams that varied in detail ( I had used white paper diagram ), yellow version was showing coil to be earthed on postion 2. I have not got a earth wire coming off the coil apart from the blue earth wire coming in via regulator. Have I balls up here, not fitting a earth here ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr mugello

Postby Raveydavey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:57 pm

You do need to separately earth the coil. Good earths on the varitronic are a must. It'll cut out at high revs if not..don't know if that will have any impact on your immediate issue. Sounds like the rectifier isn't rectifying.
Raveydavey

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3