LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

AF Cassette Clutch Plate Change

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

AF Cassette Clutch Plate Change

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Tue May 15, 2018 11:46 am

has anyone got a set of instructions for changing cork plates on an AF cassette road clutch, cannot find on internet.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Re: AF Cassette Clutch Plate Change

Postby Toddy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:13 pm

They are not that hard to be honest undo the allen bolts and it comes apart, do it slowly and lay out as you take it apart you will easily see how it goes back together or any probs ask on here im sure a few of us have done it
Toddy

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Tue May 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Do you just use a standard clutch compressor and then undo the bolts?
I was told it needed a vice and can't be done roadside.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby Toddy » Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Never used either just undone slowly each Allen bolt and taken apart
Toddy

Postby Feersum Injun » Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 pm

I've recently put one in a new engine but stripped it down and deburred the plates and corks as it was 'cocking' over when compressed. Glad I did, they were a bit of a mess. I used a compressor but as Toddy says you dont need to, just unwind each allen bolt a bit at a time to allow the springs to lift equally. Here's some photos showing it coming apart without removing the from the case... on its side like you're next to the A1!!!

ImageIMG_9526 by Nick Wilde, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9487 by Nick Wilde, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9488 by Nick Wilde, on Flickr

Hope they help...
Feersum Injun

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am

great pics, thanks for that
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby Boro1969 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Afternoon. I’ve just stripped mine down but unsure how tight the Allen bolts get tightened when putting back together. Is there a torque setting? Or do you just tighten them until they stop/bottom out.
Boro1969

Postby Raveydavey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:02 pm

out of curiosity how many miles did you get out of your plates?
Raveydavey

Postby Boro1969 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Didn’t strip it down to replace the plates mate just having a check while I had the motor apart. Only done about 800 on these and looked spot on.
Boro1969

Postby corrado » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Boro1969 wrote:Afternoon. I’ve just stripped mine down but unsure how tight the Allen bolts get tightened when putting back together. Is there a torque setting? Or do you just tighten them until they stop/bottom out.

I've done a couple and just tightened the allen bolts down in criss cross sequence a bit at a time until they bottomed out.

The biggest issue I've had with these clutches is the bronze bushes being too tight stopping the cassette going in and out freely. Spent about an hour lapping one a couple of weeks ago with fine grinding paste before the cassette freed up. Ended up with sore fingers though.
corrado

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Boro1969 wrote:Afternoon. I’ve just stripped mine down but unsure how tight the Allen bolts get tightened when putting back together. Is there a torque setting? Or do you just tighten them until they stop/bottom out.

You don't need much torque on these bolts. The pillar it screws into is aluminium and will easily break off if over-torqued. I just nip them up with a dab of Loctite 222 threadlocker. Avoid using a high strength threadlocker here because if used, then the next time you come to remove the screws, it will probably result in shearing the pillars.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3