LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

mot and tax exempt

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: mot and tax exempt

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Tue May 29, 2018 10:33 am

So my historic vehicle tax exemption was renewed online on 1 April 2018.
Now my 1963 LI150 is MOT exempt.
My MOT is due on 5th June.
Apparently the first MOT exemption is to be done at a Post Office with the V112 form.
But my tax exemption renewal isn't due for another 10 months, what do I do?
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby HxPaul » Tue May 29, 2018 11:12 am

The MOT on my 66' Li Runs out on the 7th June and my tax runs out on the 1st July.I've just got my scooter MOT'd as normal,mainly because for the sake of £30 (£20 in my case,friendly MOT man)it cuts out the filling in of forms and the messing about that the exemption takes.
HxPaul

Postby Digger » Tue May 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Paul_from_Thornbury wrote:So my historic vehicle tax exemption was renewed online on 1 April 2018.
Now my 1963 LI150 is MOT exempt.
My MOT is due on 5th June.
Apparently the first MOT exemption is to be done at a Post Office with the V112 form.
But my tax exemption renewal isn't due for another 10 months, what do I do?

Nothing as your scooter is now MOT exempt.

I just taxed my 1963 TV175 on-line. It's MOT expired in January.
Digger

Postby Mag » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:50 pm

I taxed my GP online last month to comence 1st June. My MOT expired on the 25th of May so was not valid at the time the tax started. I declared it MOT exempt as part of the process all no problem.

My worry is that if i do an MOT check online it shows as MOT expired. I have tried contacting DVLC to no avail to reassure myself.

How does anyone else's show online when they've taxed it MOT exempt?
Mag

Postby gaz_powell » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 pm

On DVLA tax check my S2 states it's taxed until May 19 and MOT no results returned

My belief is that they wouldnt allow you to tax it if it wasnt exempt.

Normally without an MOT you cant tax them.

I'm running in tomorrow so who knows i might get pulled up !!!????
gaz_powell

Postby Mag » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Maybe we'll be in the same nick? :D
Mag

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 pm

HxPaul wrote:The MOT on my 66' Li Runs out on the 7th June and my tax runs out on the 1st July.I've just got my scooter MOT'd as normal,mainly because for the sake of £30 (£20 in my case,friendly MOT man)it cuts out the filling in of forms and the messing about that the exemption takes.

Filling out of forms? It takes about 30 seconds and a couple of clicks online.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Digger » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:54 am

Mag wrote:

MOT No results returned.

(which is what you'd expect as it no longer requires an MOT).
Digger

Postby Mag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 am

Digger wrote:
Mag wrote:

MOT No results returned.

(which is what you'd expect as it no longer requires an MOT).

That’s like mine. I’d assumed it may say something like declared exempt
Mag

Postby EddieStone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Regarding the power increase, there is no mention of it on the .gov website. Guidance here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-criteria

states: "Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines do not count as a substantial change.
If the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original, it’s likely to be, but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is not alternative original equipment."

I read that as an increase in capacity of the same basic engine is not a substantial change. As long as you don't add an extra cylinder like a Targa twin, you can go as big as you like

I've just taxed my 63 Li. It was registered as a historic vehicle already and was tax exempt. When I applied for tax online, it just processed it there and then. The mot was due in April.
As it goes, the rear brake light's not working so I've got to fix that before I ride it!
EddieStone

Postby Atb Tim » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:56 am

Two years ago, my GP had an MOT advisory for the rear brake actuation force.
When I took the rear hub off there was a slight weep from the layshaft oil seal.
I had not noticed this whilst riding but the MOT brake tester picked it up. At some point the seal could have failed completely. Maybe whilst I was doing an emergency stop?
I have took this as a lesson, an MOT is a good second opinion on how roadworthy my scooter is. I also don't have a brake tester at home so I reckon a £30 MOT is money well spent.
Atb Tim

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Atb Tim wrote:Two years ago, my GP had an MOT advisory for the rear brake actuation force.
When I took the rear hub off there was a slight weep from the layshaft oil seal.
I had not noticed this whilst riding but the MOT brake tester picked it up. At some point the seal could have failed completely. Maybe whilst I was doing an emergency stop?
I have took this as a lesson, an MOT is a good second opinion on how roadworthy my scooter is. I also don't have a brake tester at home so I reckon a £30 MOT is money well spent.

The seal is held in place with a retaining plate.
There is little or no pressure behind it.
It would just continue to weep and you would notice the brake becoming less effective.
What would happen if it started leaking the day after your mot. Does this mean you should get your bike mot'd every day.
Scooterlam

Postby johnnyjarvis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:05 pm

No results returned. I spoke to a helpfull lady at DVSA who explained that at present there is no online message to state - mot exempt. No results returned means basically that DVSA/POLICE will not expect to recieve mot info on that particulair vehicle due to its age, ie- its mot exempt.
If you know of a vehicle which hasnt got a current MOT, bang the reg in the online check and you will see a red square with a X in the middle.
If your scooter ( 40 year plus) mot has expired but the tax isnt due then do this.
Log on to GOV.uk tax your vehicle site.
Type in your reg, it will ask you are you using the tax reminder form- no
Are you using log book-yes
It will then ask for the 11digit number from the front of your log book.
It will then say that your vehicle is allready taxed and you may have to pay again if you proceed.
Proceed , your scooter is tax exempt, nothing to pay.
It will then say -our records show your vehicle is 40 years old ( or older ) and may qualify for being MOT exempt.
Tick the box to say no modifications. Job done.
johnnyjarvis

Postby Atb Tim » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Scooterlam wrote:
Atb Tim wrote:Two years ago, my GP had an MOT advisory for the rear brake actuation force.

It would just continue to weep and you would notice the brake becoming less effective.
What would happen if it started leaking the day after your mot. Does this mean you should get your bike mot'd every day.

I think you're missing the point of the post.
I'm saying there is value in having the MOT other than it's a piece of paper.
Atb Tim

Postby Scooterslag » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:28 pm

I recently got my SX MOT'd and a few people asked me why did I bother when its probably now exempt. My answer is knowing how slippery insurance companies can be, I could see a case where someone has a accident and the insurance company then refuses to pay out as there is no indication of the vehicles road-worthiness. So it could have been a factor or cause in the accident. I don't know of anyone with a MOT exempt vehicle who has had a accident and problems they might have had so for the sake of £30 - I don't mind covering myself. If you don't want to MOT your scooter than thats entirely up to you. Paul
Scooterslag

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm

johnnyjarvis wrote:If your scooter ( 40 year plus) mot has expired but the tax isnt due then do this.
It will then say that your vehicle is allready taxed and you may have to pay again if you proceed.
It will then say -our records show your vehicle is 40 years old ( or older ) and may qualify for being MOT exempt.

Just done it on mine. I was wondering how you did that. So thanks for the tip.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 pm

Atb Tim wrote:
Scooterlam wrote:

I think you're missing the point of the post.
I'm saying there is value in having the MOT other than it's a piece of paper.

Think you're missing the point.
You rely on your bike being tested once a year as if that piece of paper will stop any faults occurring for another 12 months.
I take it you routinely carry out checks for road worthiness.
Or do you get th3 mot man to check your tyre treads as well.
Scooterlam

Postby Timexit17 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:21 am

ToBoldlyGo wrote:
johnnyjarvis wrote:If your scooter ( 40 year plus) mot has expired but the tax isnt due then do this.

Fantastic mate.

It also renews your tax too! double bubble!

I phone FJ (my insurers) last week to check their rulings on MOT exemption and they simply said as long 'as it's roadworthy' then they don't mind on historic vehicles.
Timexit17

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:38 am

Scooterslag wrote:I recently got my SX MOT'd and a few people asked me why did I bother when its probably now exempt. My answer is knowing how slippery insurance companies can be, I could see a case where someone has a accident and the insurance company then refuses to pay out as there is no indication of the vehicles road-worthiness. So it could have been a factor or cause in the accident. I don't know of anyone with a MOT exempt vehicle who has had a accident and problems they might have had so for the sake of £30 - I don't mind covering myself. If you don't want to MOT your scooter than thats entirely up to you. Paul

If it is exempt then it is exempt and there is no way an insurance company can use that to wriggle out of it, it's the law. Pre '60 have been exempt for some years now and no cases to my knowledge.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Digger » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Exactly....
Digger

PreviousNext

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3