LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

mot and tax exempt

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: mot and tax exempt

Postby Scooterslag » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
Scooterslag wrote:I recently got my SX MOT'd and a few people asked me why did I bother when its probably now exempt. My answer is knowing how slippery insurance companies can be, I could see a case where someone has a accident and the insurance company then refuses to pay out as there is no indication of the vehicles road-worthiness. So it could have been a factor or cause in the accident. I don't know of anyone with a MOT exempt vehicle who has had a accident and problems they might have had so for the sake of £30 - I don't mind covering myself. If you don't want to MOT your scooter than thats entirely up to you. Paul

If it is exempt then it is exempt and there is no way an insurance company can use that to wriggle out of it, it's the law. Pre '60 have been exempt for some years now and no cases to my knowledge.

Rich'

well that's spiffing to know :)
Scooterslag

Postby AdiD63 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 pm

I have a DL 125, all standard, that I will reluctantly have to sell soon, it is SORN at present and not insured. Do I leave the tax and mot exemption for the buyer to do or do I have to do it beforehand ? Many thanks Adi.
AdiD63

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:34 pm

I would. I don't think you can transfer tax anyway. And it's not as if it's going to cost them anything. :D
ToBoldlyGo

Postby HxPaul » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 pm

AdiD63 wrote:I have a DL 125, all standard, that I will reluctantly have to sell soon, it is SORN at present and not insured. Do I leave the tax and mot exemption for the buyer to do or do I have to do it beforehand ? Many thanks Adi.

Do what is legal for you to do.Who ever buys it will have to do what is legal for them,you dont have to worry about the person who buys it.
Last edited by HxPaul on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HxPaul

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:27 am

Scooterslag wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:
Scooterslag wrote:I recently got my SX MOT'd and a few people asked me why did I bother when its probably now exempt. My answer is knowing how slippery insurance companies can be, I could see a case where someone has a accident and the insurance company then refuses to pay out as there is no indication of the vehicles road-worthiness. So it could have been a factor or cause in the accident. I don't know of anyone with a MOT exempt vehicle who has had a accident and problems they might have had so for the sake of £30 - I don't mind covering myself. If you don't want to MOT your scooter than thats entirely up to you. Paul

If it is exempt then it is exempt and there is no way an insurance company can use that to wriggle out of it, it's the law. Pre '60 have been exempt for some years now and no cases to my knowledge.

Rich'

well that's spiffing to know :)

An MOT only indicates a minimum required level of road-worthiness at the point of it leaving the test station forecourt on the day. From there on in, the law requires the user to maintain it to the required standard. In Law, the courts would not accept a valid MOT certificate as proof of it being fit for purpose at the time of the "incident". Insurance companies know this. So.... Nowt's changed.
Fast n Furious

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3