LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

mot and tax exempt

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

mot and tax exempt

Postby kennystag » Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi All,
Just used the new MOT exemption form on the DVLA website to MOT and tax my 1963 LI, so simple well pleased. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax.
Stag
8-)
kennystag

Re: mot and tax exempt

Postby davej » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 am

Just a warning back in March when renewing my MOT. The examimer told me he had an old motorcycle come in for an MOT which was exempt. The reason he had brought it in was that he was given 2 insurance quotes, one with a MOT and one without. Will this catch on with all Insurance Companies?
davej

Postby roli150lam » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

davej wrote:Just a warning back in March when renewing my MOT. The examimer told me he had an old motorcycle come in for an MOT which was exempt. The reason he had brought it in was that he was given 2 insurance quotes, one with a MOT and one without. Will this catch on with all Insurance Companies?

I don't suppose you know the name of the insurance company?
I'm interested why they would give this option.Surely any business will want as much of your money as they can get.Therefore wouldn't the highest possible quote be offered?
Same as the mot man,doesn't he want as many customers as he can get to pay for mot every year?
roli150lam

Postby MK Monty » Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Interested how most of us will interpret substantially modified. An LI125 with a 175 or 185 kit is this Ok. A similar bike with a replacment high end crankcase 225 would that be OK or will it be done on horse power. I know a lot don’t notify CC change To the DVLA and the insurance company’s are generally ok with the mods we all do.
MK Monty

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 pm

MK Monty wrote:Interested how most of us will interpret substantially modified. An LI125 with a 175 or 185 kit is this Ok. A similar bike with a replacment high end crankcase 225 would that be OK or will it be done on horse power. I know a lot don’t notify CC change To the DVLA and the insurance company’s are generally ok with the mods we all do.

Monty, from what I understand, most Lambrettas, kitted ones included, will be acceptable for no MOT. The substantial changes would be, bike engined scooters, Targas etc. Anything which isn't basically as normal so most single cylinders will be ok.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Watfordwhite » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm

My 1961 LI125 registered as a full 225 had no issues being accepted for exemption. Just tick the box
Watfordwhite

Postby gp200ts1 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 am

My sx150 with a mugello 225 was ok, no major change to the basic casings so all fine.
gp200ts1

Postby davej » Wed May 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Sorry roli, I do not know which Insurance Company it is.
davej

Postby MK Monty » Wed May 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Been a lot written about this in classic car forums. The substantial bit is indeed pointed at engine swaps chassis changes and the like. A25% cc increase was said to be acceptable but not more. My Bond had a 2000cc strait six so my 2500 just scrapes in. A 125 Lambrettas will be looking at 150. As i said the insurance company’s have had guidelines for modifications over the years. The form is simply you said. Still could be a get out of jail should anything happen. At the end of the day getting it taxed and MOT exception is just the bloke in the P.O. ticking a box. The bike still has to be roadworthy. Just saying
MK Monty

Postby roli150lam » Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 am

MK Monty wrote:Been a lot written about this in classic car forums. The substantial bit is indeed pointed at engine swaps chassis changes and the like. A25% cc increase was said to be acceptable but not more. My Bond had a 2000cc strait six so my 2500 just scrapes in. A 125 Lambrettas will be looking at 150. As i said the insurance company’s have had guidelines for modifications over the years. The form is simply you said. Still could be a get out of jail should anything happen. At the end of the day getting it taxed and MOT exception is just the bloke in the P.O. ticking a box. The bike still has to be roadworthy. Just saying

I've read the V112 form,and read as much as i can find on the official gov.uk website.I still can't find any mention of power increase.This change is an exemption from MOT,an increase in engine power has never afaik been part of the mot test.
If or when I read on gov.uk any thing about a power increase that is the time i will believe it.
That said insurance can refuse any person or any vehicle without giving reason.
roli150lam

Postby HxPaul » Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 am

roli150lam wrote:
MK Monty wrote:Been a lot written about this in classic car forums. The substantial bit is indeed pointed at engine swaps chassis changes and the like. A25% cc increase was said to be acceptable but not more. My Bond had a 2000cc strait six so my 2500 just scrapes in. A 125 Lambrettas will be looking at 150. As i said the insurance company’s have had guidelines for modifications over the years. The form is simply you said. Still could be a get out of jail should anything happen. At the end of the day getting it taxed and MOT exception is just the bloke in the P.O. ticking a box. The bike still has to be roadworthy. Just saying

I've read the V112 form,and read as much as i can find on the official gov.uk website.I still can't find any mention of power increase.This change is an exemption from MOT,an increase in engine power has never afaik been part of the mot test.
If or when I read on gov.uk any thing about a power increase that is the time i will believe it.
That said insurance can refuse any person or any vehicle without giving reason.[/quote

I agree,on the form V112 it mentions the engine capacity,but also says - all vehicles "other than for motorcycles".This is very confusing and needs clearing up.https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf
HxPaul

Postby Digger » Sat May 26, 2018 11:07 am

MK Monty wrote:The bike still has to be roadworthy. Just saying

As the man says.

It's just common sense really but if you're that stressed by not having an MOT shell out the £30 and get one.
Digger

Postby roli150lam » Sat May 26, 2018 12:01 pm

My scooters are roadworthy...every day they are to be ridden.
I don't need to pay £30.00 for an MOT,it is up to me every time I ride it to make sure its roadworthy.
roli150lam

Postby roli150lam » Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm

HxPaul wrote:
roli150lam wrote:

That said insurance can refuse any person or any vehicle without giving reason.[/quote

I agree,on the form V112 it mentions the engine capacity,but also says - all vehicles "other than for motorcycles".This is very confusing and needs clearing up.https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf
HxPaul wrote:
roli150lam wrote:

I agree,on the form V112 it mentions the engine capacity,but also says - all vehicles "other than for motorcycles".This is very confusing and needs clearing up.https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf[/quote"
"Power" there is no test for power in the mot test so how can it br relevant?
There is no mention of power in the link you shared.
This is purely an exemption from mot;motorcycles/scooters are of simple construction compared to cars/vans etc.
Could you change the method of suspension on a motorcycle/scooter for instance.
roli150lam

Postby Meds » Sat May 26, 2018 1:20 pm

I spoke to Peter James insurance about the MOT and their answer was as long as it’s legal. If it doesn’t need an MOT, then I will be insured, no changes to the quote.
This morning I put a 12 month MOT on it, £30 for a 12 month ticket and no hassle.
I will probably register it as not requiring an MOT and have it tested anyway.
Meds

Postby Nigel. S » Sat May 26, 2018 3:39 pm

^ Snap. Asked insurance company when I renewed and answer was if it legally doesn't need an MOT then insurance is fine. I will be getting mine MOTd regardless but I'm pretty sure I know if it's safe to ride or not, taking 50yr old cheap Italian post war transport for the masses on long distance rides I think it's in my own interest to know. And if I'm not sure I'll take it to bits for the fun.
And as probably been said already, MOT and roadworthy - are they the same?
Nigel. S

Postby HxPaul » Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 pm

"roli150lam"

Theres been no mention of power,you're the only one thats said anything about"power increase".
HxPaul

Postby roli150lam » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

HxPaul wrote:"roli150lam"

Theres been no mention of power,you're the only one thats said anything about"power increase".

"Monty" in his post that i quoted and you subsequently quoted mentions a 25% power increase..
. I,ll keep my scooter in a roadworty condition,and if it meets the age criteria it will not need nor have an mot.
roli150lam

Postby HxPaul » Sat May 26, 2018 9:47 pm

No he didn't,he said a "25%cc increase"...........
HxPaul

Postby roli150lam » Sun May 27, 2018 4:19 pm

HxPaul wrote:No he didn't,he said a "25%cc increase"...........

You're correct he did not mention power.I'm sorry.
roli150lam

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3