LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Exhaust bracket fouls panel

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Exhaust bracket fouls panel

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:55 pm

After my trip to the excellent Eight Balls rally, I noticed some damage to the right panel in the area at the rear of the kick-start cut-out.

Have finally got a chance to look at the cause, and the panel is hitting the CNC machined rear can bracket manufactured by Scooter Loopy John. I've used this bracket on other scooters, but the panel-work differs somewhat.

I can only think that other people have suffered the same issues. How was it solved, of did the bracket need to be changed for another type?

Last edited by Knowledge on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge

Re: Exhaust bracket fouls panel

Postby Scooterlam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 pm

a friend had the same issue, much more damage than yours.
he swapped for a different type.
you could shorten the spacers and use a longer bobbin if that makes sense.
Scooterlam

Postby Scooterdude » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Can you not turn the whole bracket anti clockwise by one bolt hole and use the spare hole that is showing in your second picture to secure the exhaust to?
Scooterdude

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:07 am

Can the bracket be moved down on the case I’m sure that is how I have done mine and seen others?

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 am

shane BBoys wrote:Can the bracket be moved down on the case I’m sure that is how I have done mine and seen others?

Cheers Shane.

https://goo.gl/images/9BUBn2

I think this set up is as i mentioned.

Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Postby HxPaul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am

Try a longer rear shock.
HxPaul

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did consider moving the bracket around the rear of the crank-case by one stud. It is certainly possible, but whilst my panel is currently hitting the middle of the three mounting points, if I rotate the location of the bracket, the panel will be hitting the top mounting point instead, with the same effect.

I have a R1 shock, which is short, but it gives excellent clearance around the reed. If I fit a longer shock, I will lose that clearance, and I still wouldn't be certain that it wouldn't bottom-out on the biggest pot-holes. I also don't want to pre-load the spring, as it will make the ride harsh.

Keep the ideas coming, but I would be surprised if this was an unknown problem with this SLJ product. I am considering an alteration to the bracket, with a bit of help from my tame ali welder, and a grinder.
Knowledge

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Scooterlam wrote:you could shorten the spacers and use a longer bobbin if that makes sense.

I need to check whether this might give the necessary clearance. I will check. Thanks SL.
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3