LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best Pick-Ups

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Best Pick-Ups

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:38 pm

This is starting to get bl00dy ridiculous, I get through pick-ups at a ridiculous rate. I've always used BGM Stators with BGM pick-up, however after two pick up failures this calendar year I'm losing faith (And about 5 in last 5 years)
I ran to Abejar with a new pick up on a BGM stator, through an Agusto 7000 into the Anthony Tambs DC CDI powered by lighting coils.
As a back up I had a Readspeed Lukas DC CDI and an Anthony Tambs external pick up bolted in and ready to go.

Yesterday on a short ride around town the engine starting failing under revs, then after stopping it wouldn't start. I swapped the wiring from Anthony Tambs CDI to the Readspeed one, and it started. On ride home it was stuttering beyond 5K revs.

Swapped to the External pick up at 17 deg BTDC straight into the Lukas and it seems to rev out on stand now, ill check riding home tonight after work. The Anthony Tambs pick up is set at 17 deg BTDC static as it wont run through the Agusto, as AT confirmed the external pick up is only good with Krytonic retard units.

Anyway, basis of my question....what's the best pick up on the market??
Paul_from_Thornbury

Re: Best Pick-Ups

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 pm

On the basis of my experience it must be Indian as had one on my SX for 20 years now without issue and also one on my GP for 20 years also without issue or am I just lucky.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby HxPaul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

A K2 (Indian) on both of my scooters and never had a problem(tempting providence with that statement).
HxPaul

Postby foremanbob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm

foremanbob

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I think a lot of people now realise that BGM stators are not infallible.

I have gone with an Anthony Tambs external pick-up and an internal pick-up. I also have two CDi's one from Ducati (allegedly) and the other from Mr Tambs. Both have HT leads and plug-caps attached. In the event of a failure, I can swap from one system to the other (I acknowledge that the single point of failure is the LT coil). I hope I never have to, but if I do, I hope I will only be stationary at the road side for a few minutes.

The best coils and HT pick-ups were fitted to Vespas in the 80's and 90's. Always worth searching the bins at a parts fair for second hand items.
Knowledge

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Agreed, these are the best available. FYI - I got the same from Cambridge Lambretta a while back.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Toot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:

Agreed, these are the best available. FYI - I got the same from Cambridge Lambretta a while back.

Carry these genuine Piaggio Pick Up's in the Club Shop 'Get You Home Stock - Can delivery you one for £22:

To see the full list of Spares currently available: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9654
Toot

Postby Donnie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Can i just say, you're sure theres no issue with the agusto?
Donnie

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3