LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Spanish Sparks (or lack of)

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Spanish Sparks (or lack of)

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm new to Spanish stuff and Motoplat is a bit alien to me.

Im hoping get a very general understanding.
its a 80-82 mk4 jet2oo. has a battery tray and a 5 pin regulator so my thinking is ignition side apart its running ac for most the lighting with the battery coming off the reg to run side, brake lights and idicators if they were still fitted. Am I close?
Ignition I have no clue how the Motoplat coil is triggered as theres only one wire to the cdi/coil type thingy. any help on this appreciated.
fly wheel, is the taper the same as a LI/SX italian and are they interchangeable. ( i know the flaws)
are stators same dimensions?

what im hoping to do is fit an Li stator and fly wheel external pickup and dc cdi off the battetry.

awnsers or thoughts on any part appreciated.
Scooterlam

Re: Spanish Sparks (or lack of)

Postby rossclark » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Assuming you don't have the headset lights I think the diagram you want is on the bottom of P 270 of Sticky's second edition.

Looking at it, if all the wires except the greens are cross connected in the round junction box then it appears the whole lot is DC.

Triggering is points. The wire to your coil should be green via the junction box to the green from the stator whic is connected to the LT coil.

Crank is Li/SX same as Italian. Flywheel extractor thread will be different. I wouldn't have thought you could mix Motoplat flywheel / Italian stator, but if you fit both should be OK. I'm not sure how your Motoplat regulator would react to that either though.
rossclark

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks Ross I didn't even know it had points.
It has idiot lights on headset.
Bit more complicated than I thought.
It did run but has been stood so I'll clean points then check through.
Lights have not worked since I've had it. I'll check bulbs first
Then work through.
Simplified loom might be the easiest way out would get me to something I understand.
Scooterlam

Postby rossclark » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 am

In all honesty that's what I did with my Lince - started with a simplified loom and now it looks like something only Picasso could have come up with but at least I understand it ;)

If you have the idiot lights you might have the loom on page 271. it looks like all power comes from the red and brown on the key switch.
rossclark

Postby coaster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm

You should be able to use one of Anthony Tambs external pickups instead to the points along with a CDI if you prefer electronic ignition, give him a shout on FB, very knowledgable guy.
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Scooterlam wrote:Thanks Ross I didn't even know it had points.
It has idiot lights on headset.
Bit more complicated than I thought.
It did run but has been stood so I'll clean points then check through.
Lights have not worked since I've had it. I'll check bulbs first
Then work through.
Simplified loom might be the easiest way out would get me to something I understand.

I took all the lighting coils off mine, fitted them to an Italian/Indian size core, fitted Italian LT coil and pickup, then ran it with an Italian spec light electronic flywheel. IMO this gives better lighting than the common 12V spec stator, with the reliability of Italian electronic ignition... PLUS the big benefit of a light flywheel, as I've known both points and electronic Motoplats to shear the tapers off the crank on standard machines :roll:

^... OK so that's a lot of effort but nice when done.

Adam

PS - I believe that the Motoplat lighting coils may be double wound so that output is better at low RPM for viable indicator use at these low revs. The stators with double yellows can be run as DC or AC. DC you take both to rectifier, AC you take one to regulator and the other to earth.
Adam_Winstone

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3