LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Engine starts but.....

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Engine starts but.....

Postby Norfolk » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 am

Any suggestions please. A Varitronic ignition system was fitted about 10 years ago and until now everything has been perfect. Now however things have started to go haywire, initially the engine would not start so the CDI unit was replaced.
Now the Engine will start but runs as if something is intermittently turning it off. after a few seconds it turns off long enough to stop the engine.
Something is obviously breaking down but what ? I have tried the trick of disconnecting the cut out wire.
Could the problem be stator or regulator. Is there a way of testing the units.
Thanks for your help in advance
Norfolk

Re: Engine starts but.....

Postby Norfolk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Sorry guys and girls, but I cannot believe that nobody can give me any advice !!
Norfolk

Postby MickYork » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Varitronic's are a law unto themselves. In most cases it would be suggested to swap stator/flywheel/etc but the cost of a "spare" stator is prohibitive. I'm not sure what readings you should get but give CamLamb a call (good luck with that !!) and they may able to assist you.

Ignore the regulator, nothing to do with your ignition circuit.

Have you checked the fuel/carb' circuit ? might not be electrical.
MickYork

Postby rossclark » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 pm

It's the weekend - most folks are riding or spannering.

It's possibly a loose connection somewhere check all your connectors and earths as a starter for 10.

It's always worth a call to CamLam - it is a challenge getting through but when you do they're usually really helpful.
rossclark

Postby holty » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:58 pm

a fiend of mine has one of these fitted to his ts1, he had a holed piston a few weeks ago, when it was stripped he found that one of the stator wires had been rubbed though by the flywheel, the person who fitted it didnt use the metal shield that goes over the wires, had had found the scooter harder to start as well, might be worth checking.
holty

Postby Toddy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 am

holty wrote:a fiend of mine has one of these fitted to his ts1, he had a holed piston a few weeks ago, when it was stripped he found that one of the stator wires had been rubbed though by the flywheel, the person who fitted it didnt use the metal shield that goes over the wires, had had found the scooter harder to start as well, might be worth checking.

I didnt think the variotronic needded a metal Shield ? Due to where the wires go
Toddy

Postby Norfolk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions, frustrating times !
Norfolk

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3