LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 Side Panels

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 Side Panels

Postby Hammer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:05 pm

I am finding one of my side panels a very tight fit. Is it normal that you might have to bend the spring to make it easier? I am using the original handles and rollers and a new casa spring. Thanks in advance.
Hammer

Re: Series 3 Side Panels

Postby Norfolk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 am

I have found that if the panel gets misshapen for any reason this can make the catch very tight.
Suggest you mate up the panel to ensure it is a snug fit into the retaining groove all around the panel, mine originally was all over the place, especially around the large bulbous part.
Norfolk

Postby Hammer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks Norfolk, that makes sense. Mine are the original panels but the top edge directly above the choke/fuel tap is a bit gappy on that radius. My rubbers are Scootopia and I'm beginning to wonder if they are a bit thicker. I would think bending the panel spring would be nigh on impossible anyway.
Hammer

Postby Norfolk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:19 am

Yes you are right about the panel spring. Is there any chance that the spring has been shortened to enable easier removal of the wheel. Mine had, and after its replacement and careful guiding of the wheel onto the spring, giving the panel a suitable thump a few times it gradually got better to fit. Also I trust the spring is free to move within its clamps and the small wheel on the panel is relatively free to turn.
Norfolk

Postby Norfolk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:28 am

Ops just noted that you have fitting a new spring :roll: :roll: Another though, lay the panel on the floor and see if it is flat.
Norfolk

Postby Hammer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Problem solved. Big thanks to Norfolk, you were spot on! The tight panel had a big twist in it that was difficult to detect until put on a flat surface which showed it was all over the place. With a bit of very careful bending the panel now fits perfectly! Thanks again and hope this thread helps others. :D
Hammer

Postby MK Monty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 am

I see you have sorted it but in general panel fitting is all about getting the top edge front curve seated. I fit the panel with the handle end lifted, push the panel on and down above he choke lever, then lower the handle end while pushing it back to locate the back end. Give it a clout back and down with your hand above the choke and locate the lock end. New rubbers are often a bit harder or fatter and as you push it on the rubber gets pushed down and around the rolled edge of the panel. A snug it is better than a panel flying down the road. But to come off it has to lift at the back an move forward. The GP panel fits with just a spring clip sitting on the rear rolled lip holding it down. It works.i hope it makes sense
MK Monty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3