LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electronic ignition

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Electronic ignition

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm

coaster wrote:
Scooterlam wrote:Bit of a curve ball.
Do the 12v conversion it's adoddle and will cost you as rectifier and bulbs.
Got an external pickup and one of scootronics a.c. cdi.
Leave the existing points in place and you will effectively have 2 ignition systems in place.
Talk to and tambs first to make sure I've not got it wrong.

The only problem with that is that you would need to keep an eye on the cam heal wear or it won't be much use to you when you need it ;)

I'm about to dabble with points.
What's the service interval on heel wear?
Scooterlam

Postby sunrisemac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Scooterlam wrote:
coaster wrote:
Leave the existing points in place and you will effectively have 2 ignition systems in place.

The only problem with that is that you would need to keep an eye on the cam heal wear or it won't be much use to you when you need it ;)

I've run the last 10,000+ miles on points since I restored my scoot, I've checked the points but never had to adjust them, timing checked with a snap-on strobe a few times but always spot on.
sunrisemac

Postby EddieStone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:50 am

Scooterlam wrote:
coaster wrote:

With electronic kits being the most common form of ignition these days, points can be hard to get, and surprisingly expensive. I fitted new points on mine figuring that back in the day people drove thousands of miles using them, but while it ran, it ran badly. I read somewhere afterwards that there are a lot of points around that are not quite correct and won't time in properly. I think that was the problem with mine. so, my point is, find a supplier that definitely supplies the right ones. (I think some supply Vespa ones which are close, but not quite. Maybe someone ekse knows more about this?)

A lot of problems caused by points are caused by lack of maintenance and failing to oil the pad that lubricates the heel cam causing it to wear and the gap opens up. I used to grease the cam and oil the pad, but I think with modern high temperature greases a bit of grease should be sufficient. You don't want to use too much because if the oil gets on the point contacts then that'll cause problems as well.
EddieStone

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 pm

^ club shop doesn't even sell points, I asked once at a rally just out of mischief. :lol: Think my last set was from BuzzSoloMoto.
Nigel. S

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 pm

I also asked another dealer at same rally... they laughed at me. I meant to report that to the commitee but it slipped my mind. :lol:
Electronic ignition?.. pointless.

Sorry, really sorry.
Nigel. S

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 pm

grandpa wrote:
Fast n Furious wrote:You dont need to change the coils on a 6v stator to make it 12v. The originals just need to be reworked so they have a a series/parallel connection arrangement.
Hi fast and furious,
Having two pairs joined in series is mentioned here:
https://www.scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2311.

Grandpa

Nah..... This scooterotica feature is an indian coil conversion.
Original Italian 6V plates had 2 of their coils that were double wound. You have to rewire it for a series/parallel arrangement.
Fast n Furious

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3