LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Acewell vs Koso electronic Speedos - opinions

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Acewell vs Koso electronic Speedos - opinions

Postby Donnie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:18 am

OK, I've been thinking about this for a couple of years now and was all for fitting an acewell, then didn't get round to it :oops:

Not interested in the sip ones due to the many problems many seem to have.

So, on searching my old posts and replies before looking again at the acewell site it appears there may be a glitch in that they don't do the one that usually gets fitted to the Series 2 anymore :( See the link here http://www.acewell-meter.co.uk/Acewell% ... full&id=18 which links to the 2956+ as opposed to the 2956 version.

Whats the difference? not a lot other than the idiot lights, ie one has a sidelight function but is replaced by a ! warning light on the plus version, I wanted the sidelight one and from reading further down the description it appears that the non plus version is pre 2016. I have emailed them to confirm all this but in the meantime the only viable alternative (if I don't get the acewell) seems to be the Koso that I have seen on the MB site at https://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/ ... mb009.html

So, are there any alternatives I should consider out there?
Donnie

Re: Acewell vs Koso electronic Speedos - opinions

Postby tim_mason » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm

i use the Trailtech Vapor, good price and reliable.
tim_mason

Postby Donnie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:04 am

Is there a vapor for the Series 2 then??
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:19 am

Got a reply from acewell (at 10pm on a Saturday night fair play), basically the sidelights now activate the backlight of the speedo and the ! can be used as either a high rev warning or low fuel level.

As for alternatives Im pretty sure the vapor is a square peg in a round hole which im not at all interested in, sorry Tim :-)

I know that someones mentioned on one of the threads that theres an acewell "copy / imitation" they used so wonder if thats an option if anyone does still use one, Im surprised no one uses the koso at all or maybe you're all on a rally ? :D
Donnie

Postby gp200ts1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am

A bonus of the acewell over the koso is it appears the koso doesn’t have the tachometer function.
gp200ts1

Postby MK Monty » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Donnie I fitted the Acewell looky likey one around 8 years ago. It wAs about 35quid off eBay at the time. Not seen them available for a while. But pretty sure they went on to supply Scomadi they look smaller but mine is on the series 1 with the bezel and fitted spot on fit. It had rubber mode buttons and I never got the tacho working as it was set to 4 stroke and read wrong. It did just connect to the green. Fuel sender in the tank gives a barr reading. Flashing just b fore going onto reserve. Idiot lights for left right indicators full beam, It has been spot on and seems accurate when checked against a sat nav. It did however have a plastic rear can that needed a bit of butchery to fit between the throttle pullies on the series 1. The workings o& the gauge are only 1/2 inch deep with the can only been wire support. Chopping the Acewell willobviously negate any warranty. In my case it was 30quid and been a good buy, no good if you can’t get one sorry. May be worth measuring a Scomadi
MK Monty

Postby Donnie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Aye, im leaning toward the acewell i have to admit, cant seem to find spares for the scomadi but it's fairly obvious they've used acewell or a copy.
Donnie

Postby MK Monty » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:21 pm

I have seen a few Acewells in series 2 and been told the legit ones are adjustable for 2 stroke so the rev counter works. I contacted Acewell re mine and he gave me a contact email address in China or Tiawan, at the time and I asked about who manufactured them and it all went very cagey I got the impression they were making them for someone else and had released some on the market. All I can say is it worked. holds its memory without a battery as my switch turns everything off. if I check my maximum speed it will occasionally say I had hit 92 mph Max. Yes right.
MK Monty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3