LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Side panel bracing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Side panel bracing

Postby jonno » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Anyone got some ideas for bracing side panels,especially the right hand side,on the arched piece and the corner of the square section?
jonno

Re: Side panel bracing

Postby Knowledge » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 pm

I assume you mean a series 3 panel?

Is the panel already painted, or yet to be painted?

With a painted panel, I would cut a cardboard template around the area you wants to strengthen, and then cut out an ali plate to match, and then glue it in place using something like Evostick. This glue could help reduce the effect of vibration, which is the cause of splits in this area. Make sure you consider the location of the rubber buffer on the rear footboard support lug when you are cutting your template.

On an unpainted panel, I have welded a rod around the bottom of the panel. Something like a 3 or 4mm rod is idea. Some people say bronze weld it in, but on my most recent scooter, I just tacked it in at 10mm intervals in order to reduce the build up of heat. Heat warps tin-work, unless you are careful.
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3