LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Easy Clutch

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Easy Clutch

Postby 515paul » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:02 pm

has any of you used a Easy Clutch, any tips or pictures to help with fitting, and do they help.
fitted a BGM clutch to my mates GP, I put in a set of BGM soft springs but he has got wrist problems and is even finding this set up to stiff.
I have also just fitted a Casa clutch to another GP, fantastic, lightest clutch ever.
515paul

Re: Easy Clutch

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Try new nylon lined outer n new inner properly routed works wonders, have mb 5 plate with mb spring s and can pull lever in with baby finger ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby 515paul » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 am

have used a BGM cable and I think he'd rather not buy another clutch.
someone must have fitted one of those easy clutch gadgets.
515paul

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:23 am

I've got one having seen one fitted to scooter ridden by the Odd Mod Squad.
However it is still sat on the shelf and not fitted.
Fitting is actually easy and does not involve too much work.
The mechanism is bolted close to the original clutch adjuster after shortening the cable a little.
Then the cable from the mechanism goes to the clutch arm and is adjusted in the same way.
There are 3 levels of leverage simply adjusted by moving a pin.
One day I will fit it.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Jim Rose » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:00 am

If it's what I think it is I tried one a long time ago. I hated it and threw it away, difficult to set up right and when the cables stretch it needs to be reset.
I would say that this may not be the same thing as I tried.
The best set up I can recommend is LTH clutch with a carefully routed LTH cable.
Sorry if that not what you or your mate wants to hear
Jim Rose

Postby 515paul » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:33 am

hi JIm

that's what I thought, it looks like a bit of cheap tat, trouble is this bloke is stuck with the BGM clutch he's got, it's fine for me but with his wrist problems he can't use it,.
right back in the shed.
515paul

Postby mr mugello » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I fitted an mb dog leg lever. Easier to pull strong springs in I found.
mr mugello

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I know I'll probably sound like a no it all (im far from that).
a properly routed clutch with attention to detail to each part will be as light as any aftermarket gubins.

at Adria I was in awe of the Rimini chain case side cover with fancy linkage, we went outside and for comparison I pulled my mates (oh err) and it was every bit as light.
Scooterlam

Postby missing lynx » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I use an easy clutch and find it makes a big difference and stops my hand aching when riding in heavy traffic I've mounted mine under the horn cast I did a little mod to it by drilling a hole to allow the cable coming from the leaver to go through a solderless nipple then come through the casing this makes adjustment easier I've got an old school 5 plate clutch with strong springs and with the easy clutch it's lighter than a std one
missing lynx

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm

There are hydraulically operated clutch systems available that presumably make the clutch operation lighter, but besides the slave cylinder grafted on to the side casing, there must be a hydraulic clutch lever on the headset end. My point is that somebody has done the 'engineering' that might benefit you.

However, there is a system available via:

http://mail.nabd.org.uk/adaptations/Adaptionkits/

that is a hydraulic to cable clutch system.

I wondered whether that may be used in conjunction with one of the remote front brake hydraulic systems that some Lambretta owners hide behind the horn-casting, though I guess there would be some losses in efficiency compared to a 'pure' hydraulic system.....

I had a trawl of t'internet to see if there is a servo system available for bike clutches, as I'm sure the problem is not restricted to scooter riders. Perhaps a motorcycle Forum might yield a solution that you could apply.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Scooterlam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm

i feel the clutch issues are made worse on scooters by the unnatural position we find ourselves in when crawling in traffic in first, wrist bent back feathering the clutch.
on the whole we aren't as supple as we used to be.
I'm holding out for the gear changer that knocks up or down which will allow a more motorbike set up of the clutch lever being at the optimum angle most the time.
I know from riding dirt bikes the difference a few degrees can make in wrist fatigue.
apparently no news from the Italian guy on production but another manufacturer is getting close to releasing one.
Scooterlam

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3