LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Speedo cable

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Speedo cable

Postby stephen.salvage » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 pm

I now have a problem with my speedo cable! Can't seem to get the inner cable to connect in at the fork end, have stripped some outer cable back but can't get it to register and spinning the front wheel is not moving the cable. Any pointers please?
stephen.salvage

Re: Speedo cable

Postby peejay » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm

i'm assuming that it was working, what have you changed?
peejay

Postby stephen.salvage » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Hasn't been working since I got her but when I changed the cable the old one had some insulating tape rapped around the end of the inner cable at the fork end? Thought putting a new cable in would rectify it but unfortunately not.
stephen.salvage

Postby Scooter Paul » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Can you see the worm drive spinning? The originals were made of nylon and wear out.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby stephen.salvage » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Honestly, I don't know what the worm drive is? Would that be inside the part I'm trying to get the inner cable into?
stephen.salvage

Postby Knowledge » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 pm

The worm drive within the front hub. The square section of the speedo cable fits into the end of the worm drive.

Remove the cable at the bottom and stick a matchstick in the speedo hole in the hub (where the square section of the cable goes in). Now spin the front wheel and watch the matchstick to see if it rotates. If it is rotating, you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Martin
Knowledge

Postby stephen.salvage » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for that, now I know where to look. I'll get my head stuck into "stickies". Do you know if I need to dismantle much to change the worm drive?
stephen.salvage

Postby Nudger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:03 pm

No you don't have to do too much - I changed mine a few weeks ago & it's a piece of cake.
Remove the speedo drive bush from the hub (the part your speedo outer cable screws onto) & pull out the worm drive.
Nudger

Postby HxPaul » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Nudger wrote:No you don't have to do too much - I changed mine a few weeks ago & it's a piece of cake.
Remove the speedo drive bush from the hub (the part your speedo outer cable screws onto) & pull out the worm drive.

It isn't as easy as that because if it is a nylon worm gear and its chewed up,the chances are that the drive gear that fits on the hub is nylon too and that will almost certainly need replacing.
HxPaul

Postby Nudger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Fair point - mine was metal & just came straight out
Nudger

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 pm

In general,the speedo drive can easily be removed using a dremel type tool and a small cutting wheel.
Take care not to cut the hub.
Always use matching pairs of pinion and wheel.
I fitted a metal wheel here.

This is an example of a good speedo drive wheel.

This one is chewed up

Sometimes the remade bushes have different length and can also affect the mechanism.
I removed the bottom and fitted the top,this cured a minor problem that I had.

Dimitrios_231

Postby stephen.salvage » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Couldn't ask for better advice. Thank you :)
stephen.salvage

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3