LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Early TV175 Carb - MB21 BS5

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Early TV175 Carb - MB21 BS5

Postby NorthernJordan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:40 pm

I have a 1960 TV175. It has the original carb.

Edit - got the original jetting now thanks, all is correct there.

What is the best airhose to use with the standard MB21 BS5 carb. I'm trying to use a series 2 one but this doesn't seem to fit very snug on the carb. I can't see anything specifically listed for sale as suitable for TV2? Is a normal series 2 air hose ok?

Also, I can't find many good diagrams for the carb online. So when servicing, I am not sure if the carb top should have a seal/washer fitted.

I am suffering symptoms of an air leak. Carb is well serviced and jets are all clear, and beginning to cast my eyes onto the carb top/slide/needle. None of which seems to be in a bad way and free from excessive wear.

So:
Should the carb have a seal fitted to the carb top.
What faults with the carb could present the symptoms of an air leak?
What is the best airhose to use with the MB21BS5 carb?
Last edited by NorthernJordan on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NorthernJordan

Re: Early TV175 Carb

Postby EddieStone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm

EddieStone

Re: Early TV175 Carb - MB21 BS5

Postby NorthernJordan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am

Post updated as need some clarification on some points and added more detail.
NorthernJordan

Re: Early TV175 Carb - MB21 BS5

Postby NorthernJordan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Slowly making progress on this. Airleak test shows no leaks which is positive. Never had many issues when setting up standard machines and have mainly worked with tuned motors.

I've got it running slightly better. It's no longer revving it's tits off and starts happily without the choke. However, it is still lean and slightly erratic in its revs.

Two areas of concern remain:

1. The series 3 air hose I am using does not fit tight and I've had to pack out the mouth of the carb with rubber. I am getting a proper air hose, but wondering how much of a difference that would actually make?

2. What are the symptoms of a worn slide? I can't find much, but does a worn slide give erratic lean running?

Jordan.
NorthernJordan

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3