LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SX Head light / Horn switch

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SX Head light / Horn switch

Postby Lambr62 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to dismantle this switch assembly without breaking it in the process? I want to reconect one of the wires. Thanks for any help in advance.
Lambr62

Re: SX Head light / Horn switch

Postby EddieStone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:34 pm

The one on my GP can be dismantled, if that's any help. It looked like it was riveted, but it's actually screwed together.
EddieStone

Postby Lambr62 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi Eddystone,
Mine looks like its possibly riveted. Cant see any screws other than the ones i took out to remove it from the Handle bar housing. Theres even a cut out slot in the one corner which looks like you could prize it off with a screw driver. Dosent want to come off and i dont want to apply too much pressure. Thanks.
Lambr62

Postby Knowledge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:38 pm

It can be done, but it is not much fun.

Before you start, buy some brass micro-tube from a model shop (or on-line) to replace the brass tube you are about wreck while taking it apart.

Drill out one end of the existing tubes carefully, and you should be able to pull apart the switch. Unfortunately, at this point, the entire contents of the switch will fall out and you will be left puzzling about where they came from/where they go back. Fixing the broken wire will be the least of your worries.

During reassembly, have some of your newly-purchased tube cut to size. Flare one end before inserting it into rebuilt switch housing, and then find some way of flaring the other end of the tube whilst holding everything in place. An extra pair of hands might be useful ("when I nod my head, hit it")

Sorry if I sound a bit pessimistic, but this is one of my least favourite jobs, and I would rather spend the money at Scootopia on a new switch.
Knowledge

Postby Lambr62 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Knowledge,
Thanks for the reply. Didnt think it was going to be easy looking at the design. Think i might check out Scootopia. Thanks. ;)
Lambr62

Postby Ivor the engine » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 pm

If youre still stuck, I could have a look at the switch for you?
Kind regards,
Ivor.
Ivor the engine

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3