LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electronic problem

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Electronic problem

Postby gp200ts1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Stopped sparking so I changed the plug, cap, hit lead and put a known good cdi on. Nothing. Checked the resistances of the stator wires and all spot on. Took the flywheel off to check all the soldered joints. All looked ok. Put it back on and hey presto it ran. Went back a few hours later to sort out the choke and it’s stopped bloody sparking. Going to check pick up alignment tomorrow and resolder all the joints for my own peace of mind. Anyone got any other suggestions or have they come across this before? It’s an sx electronic kit from af rayspeed btw, mid weight flywheel.
gp200ts1

Re: Electronic problem

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 am

Probably the classic problem of a failed LT coil. AF stators are very prone to this issue as are others. (see the many posts of whoa on here)
To check.... Use a digital multimeter set on the 200VAC range.
Connect one lead to ground and the other to the green wire of the stator.
Switch ignition on and kick it over. If all's well it should peak around 60VAC.
Usually you get nothing or very little if the LT coil is goosed.
If this does check out, then it will likely be the pickup (red wire). Only with the use of an oscilloscope can this be checked properly. Just change it.
Fast n Furious

Postby gp200ts1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Lt coil was pushing out 62 volts when kicking it over. Took two laminates out from under the pick up and it seems to of cured it. Fingers crossed.
gp200ts1

Postby gaz_powell » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Very recently i had one the same for a pal, progressively getting worse looked okay and multimeter readings on both pick up and LT were perfect. When it finally give up altogether with no spark the readings were still spot on. I dragged an old one out the garage that checked out and bingo, bike fired up and was running great.
Not long changed it over for a brand new UNI auto one, very nice quality, now sparking like a good un. Not been ran yet as waiting on some other parts.
gaz_powell

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:58 pm

The quoted resistance measurement test is largely a waist of time. It is very deceiving advice albeit well intended.
Only voltage readings are reliable here.
An oscilloscope is beyond the toolbox of most folk but is the perfect tool for diagnosing ignition issues.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3