LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LUKAS PRO CDI

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

LUKAS PRO CDI

Postby Modbadger » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi - has anyone tried this new kit?
I've got a recurring problem of engine stutters and engine dying, and have checked and tried all the possible carb and petrol faults, which now leaves the very likely stator low tension coil as culprit. My engine was fitted professionally 18 months ago with a new BGM stator, Ducati CDI.
I don't have the skills to work on removing and checking the stator, and the business that put them in has now folded. The Readspeed Lukas Pro CDI looks like just the job that I'm after, but would it mean I would have to go through the normal setting of the ignition timing? If the Readspeed Lukas Pro can be fitted would this bypass a failed coil?
Modbadger

Re: LUKAS PRO CDI

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:36 pm

The Lukas CDI from Readspeed should be a straight swap as it tends to retard the timing a couple of degrees to be safe, an intentional move to allow it to be a straight roadside swap without having to reset the ignition timing. However, depending on what the ignition was set to previously, I would always want to re-strobe an ignition to set it to where I wanted it to be.

Also, whilst I am a big fan of Readspeed, their stuff and their service, buying another CDI may be a bit of a 'punt' before knowing for sure that this is your issue. Sure, it is very likely to be the cause (I've just repaired/upgraded 3 failed LT coils on stators for members of my local scooter club) but I went through the process of checking the resistance readings before doing so.

If the bike was previously running OK but this problem has since developed, then it may well be LT coil failure but it could also be a pickup starting to fail... a swap to Lukas CDI would not resolve that issue.

Good luck,

Adam

PS - Ironically, I run a Lukas CDI on a bike that has a perfectly good LT coil on it. I fitted the Lukas to try it and never bothered to swap it back as the bike runs well with it on.
Adam_Winstone

Postby HxPaul » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm

I have had one since last December,I keep it in the toolbox just in case.I tried the CDI when I got it just to make sure it worked.On my other scooter I use one that I got from Anthony Tambs and use that all the time,they both do the same job,taking their power from the lighting coils.
HxPaul

Postby Knowledge » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm

I would echo Adam’s thoughts that this might be a simple LT coil failure. I kinda always think that when I see the letters BGM.

If you are not confident enough to tackle the repair, appeal for some help from members in your area via this forum, or ask for a recommendation of a dealer who can do this work if your previous dealer has ceased trading.
Knowledge

Postby Modbadger » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks for your advice guys - it' very helpful, and I think I will go for buying one - as a spare if I haven't find the exact cause of the trouble, when I can find a Lambretta mechanic in my area. I'm based near Skipton in North Yorks -if any one knows of a good dealer or individual in my area I would be very pleased.
Modbadger

Postby HxPaul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:09 am

The only mechanic I know in the area is Anthony at Buzzsolomoto,Halifax.He repairs most types of Lambretta's and V*sp*'s.Give him a ring.His number is-01422 385818.
HxPaul

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm

A lot of the generic DC CdI's will work from the lambretta lighting coils. I have used these generic £10 units with a CDI coil from an outboard motor with great results. The only downside is having to mount 2 separate non standard components which costs money if being done commercially.
If you can't drop on the proper skills needed to repair a failed LT coil, then the Lukas is a good way to go and cost effective compared to ripping the stator apart.
If the fault is with the pickup coil then you would still have the same problem of course.
If you find that the problem is worse with a warmed engine than a cold one, then the LT coil should be suspected in my experience.
You can check for LT coil breakdown by using a muliti-meter set on the circa 200Vac range. (An analogue meter works better here than a digital one. About £4 on fleabay)
Remove the headset top and connect one probe lead to the green ignition wire and the other to chassis.
Start the engine and it should read between 60Vac - 200ish Vac as you rev it out.
Tape the meter to the headset and go for a ride.
If the meter reading unexpectedly drops when your engine begins to splutter then you can blame the LT coil.

The DC CDi setup kicks out the circa 200Vac to the ignition coil irrespective of the engine speed, making the engine much easier to start and much less likely to plug fouling. A nice bonus when warming up with the choke on.
Fast n Furious

Postby Modbadger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks HxPaul and Fast'n'Furious for your advice.

I've just sent off to Readspeed and spent £90.. it was a bit hard for someone born in East Yorkshire.

However, I will now have several ways of getting on the road again, but I'll try fixing the Lukas first and see what happens.
Modbadger

Postby Stevepshipley » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:00 pm

have a look at Davian classics in Barnoldswick if they're still in business. seem like a couple of decent blokes.
Stevepshipley

Postby corrado » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Modbadger wrote: -if any one knows of a good dealer or individual in my area I would be very pleased.

Sean Brady at Scooterotica garage in Ripon is well worth a visit.
Sean Brady Scooters
Unit 8
Baines Industrial Estate
Fishergreen
Ripon
HG4 1NW

Tel: 01765 690 698
corrado

Postby trotsky » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Would the lukas CDI work on a Wassell converted system? I'm gonna call Readspeed tomorrow, but wondered if it was a simple answer or if anyone is using this set-up?

Cheers, Steve
trotsky

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:32 pm

A point to note:-
The Lukas type CDI needs a regulated supply.
If your Regulator fails short circuit, you wont have enough voltage to drive the CDI. (breakdown truck)
Regulators however, usually fail open circuit from hours of continuous riding with next to no electrical load to regulate. So now, you have excessive voltage to contend with. This is what should be suspected if all your light bulbs suddenly blow.
At this point the excessive unregulated voltage will fry the voltage converter within the CDI, leaving you without lights or ignition. (breakdown truck)

Riding with your head lights on greatly reduces the loading on the regulator making it a lot more reliable at the expense of having to change bulbs a bit more often perhaps? ( good chance you will be riding home)

No brainer eh?
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3