LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Diesel powered TS1 doh

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Diesel powered TS1 doh

Postby Lockman69 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:09 pm

First time for everything lol... so I topped up my 17l tank with 4L of diesel... I was in the centre of London so couldn’t dump 17L of fuel all over the pavement, so I gunned it home 40 miles stopping to top up with 4L of petrol... scooter ran great, starts and idles fine... I’ve drained the tank and cleaned the carb... can running diesel cause any other issues that I should check, will effect the crank side oil seal for instance?

Cheers
Lockman69

Re: Diesel powered TS1 doh

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 pm

It'll typically cause starting issues and excessive smoke... but only whilst it is running on it, returning to normal after.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Lockman69 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Cheers Adam... smokey was an understatement lol... I couldn’t believe I did it... even sent my mate back to the garage to get a print out...must be getting old lol
Lockman69

Postby Meds » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

As the aa man pointed out to me
Your engines clean
Meds

Postby Lockman69 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Meds wrote:As the aa man pointed out to me
Your engines clean

:D :D
Lockman69

Postby HxPaul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:27 am

As has already been said,it should be alright once its drained off and filled up with the correct fuel.My friend once did the same,so he emptied it and filled it with the correct fuel.If you followed him it smelled of diesel for a long time after that.From what I've been told,its the other way around that you have problems.If you fill a deisel vehicle up with petrol it will seize up.
HxPaul

Postby Meds » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:20 pm

I mixed up BP ultimate diesel and ultimate unleaded.
According the the AA bloke - it’s not uncommon due to the pump colours.
I thought it was a blown oil seal
Filled it with the right mix and it’s been fine for the last 2 seasons
I’m trying to work out if you can colour the smoke - red arrows style
Meds

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Meds wrote:I mixed up BP ultimate diesel and ultimate unleaded.
According the the AA bloke - it’s not uncommon due to the pump colours.
I thought it was a blown oil seal
Filled it with the right mix and it’s been fine for the last 2 seasons
I’m trying to work out if you can colour the smoke - red arrows style

Did exactly the same thing last year on my TS1
Only needed to leave the choke on to keep it running something like. I was amazed how fast it could still go (which is more than can be said by the riders behind me. They all stunk of diesel fuel. Lost a couple of brownie points that day) :roll:
Drained out what remained when I got home and refilled. No problems. :D
What I drained out I used in my lawnmower with a drop of castrol R to make it bearable.
Waste not want not. :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby corrado » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:03 pm

BP yet again when I did it, had half and half petrol and diesel and had it ticking over for 5 mins bellowing smoke. Dumped 13 litres on the grass (heathen) and refilled it correctly, it was the best it'd ever run immediately after that.
corrado

Postby JETEX » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Diesel is a heavy oil so it will obviously smoke when you burn it. It shouldn't do any harm to your engine as it's just extra lubrication - unless you've got a catalytic converter fitted, then it could be a different story.
JETEX

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Think lots of riders have put diesel in their tanks including me :oops: my excuse was couldn’t read French on the way to Avignon. It ran for almost 10 miles until I came too a toll stop then got completely emersed in white smog :lol: Thought my main seal had blown and had no idea I’d stuck Derv in it. Needless too say a very good ulc club member stripped the motor down and replaced said seal only too find that when the engine was started it it started smoking like a gud un on 200 a day habit. Said very good spanner man went nuts as he was adamant that he had built it right. Anyway we all sat down too scratch our nuts and enjoyed a cold beer until he went over too my tank and took a sniff :o He went Ballistic this time calling me all the fecking names under the sun. Again I had no idea until he told me too taste my Petrol :oops: (Derv).Much piss taking n banter had begun as our club is getting quite a rep for putting diesel in the tank (5) :shock: at the last count, even got t- Shirts printed up and special diesel stickers applied. 4 valvable drinking hrs had been lost and they still remind me too this day :lol:
Lesson for today is Sniff/ Taste b4 you drop engine down :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby carlos fandango » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Filled up with Diesel (by mistake :( ) on the way to Mull 2016 , i did about 4 miles on the M6 losing power then came to a halt . I was last in the pack , so on my own , my friends pulled off at the next junction and called but id already found id holed the piston :( we were roughly 50miles from our hotel in Glasgow so i told them to carry on.

So managed to push it behind the Armco , found a coulpe of slabs by an electrical box and set about changing the piston. Luckily I carry a ltr of spare petrol, so dumped the 13ltr contents of the tank on the grass verge :oops:
Crap pic tbh , but taking pics was the last thing on my mind :lol: I had to drop the engine to get the barrel off PTA , but managed to get back on the road in around 2 hours :)
carlos fandango

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3