LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fully synthetic oil versus semi synthetic oil

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Fully synthetic oil versus semi synthetic oil

Postby Northumbrian » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:31 am

collector1967 wrote:My god just seen 5lts for £12.21 + vat, i paid £13.75 for 1 ltr of Castrol power 1, i will be changing to groundsman.

Cheers Ian :D ;)

Where ?
Northumbrian

Postby nickw » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:59 am

Northumbrian wrote:
collector1967 wrote:My god just seen 5lts for £12.21 + vat, i paid £13.75 for 1 ltr of Castrol power 1, i will be changing to groundsman.

Where ?

I doubt you will get an answer. Collector1967 has not been on this site since 2014. Eden promoted this oil a lot but he also hasn't been on here for quite a while.

Wrong link removed :oops: . Considering the post was back in 2015 that doesn't seem a bad price today?
Last edited by nickw on Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickw

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:32 am

i wouldnt buy that , it`s chain and bar oil. :lol:
martyn dwane

Postby Toddy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:34 am

martyn dwane wrote:i wouldnt buy that , it`s chain and bar oil. :lol:

Been running it in all my tuned motors for last 3 years no issues but like it has been said oil is peoples preferred choice
Toddy

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:41 am

Toddy ,i use groundsman but that link isnt for two stroke ,it`s for chain and bar oil.
Last edited by martyn dwane on Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyn dwane

Postby Toddy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:45 am

martyn dwane wrote:Toddy ,i use groundsman buy that link isnt for two stroke ,it`s for chain and bar oil.

I see sorry I didn’t check the link and I buy mine from a reputable source not e bay as there was some dodgy stuff about :?
Toddy

Postby burnside » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:06 pm

I've always bought my Groundsman from Garfitts, gone up in price recently from £4 to £5 a litre but still cheap compared to others. Current prices are £21.09 5l and £79.99 for 20l, + VAT on both of those.
burnside

Postby nickw » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:26 pm

Lol, I didn't check my own link. Garfitts have always been a good price as said above.
nickw

Postby Andyf » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:30 am

Northumbrian wrote:

Where ?

he posted a follow-up thirty minutes later to say he'd paid £24 coz of p&p
Andyf

Postby Andyf » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:35 am

sunrisemac wrote:Synthetic and semi-synthetic both provide better protection at low temperature, which is when most wear is likely to occur, i.e. start up from cold, let alone the tremendous protection that is provided to high speed running engines. .

why is that?
Andyf

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:33 pm

The choice of oil that we use is very important. It is always an emotive subject & we tend to have our favourites, not always based upon comparing like for like.

I don't doubt that mixed in the correct ratios for the particular state of tune, it could be proven that vegetable based oils can contribute to producing as much power as the best fully synthetics.

As far as I am aware, there are very few two stroke oils specifically produced for, say, an air cooled 'race' engine, yet I feel that, as it says on the tin, such an oil is likely to fit the parameters my tuned engines require.

Further narrowing of choice is made due to the convenience factor. Shell make an oil for air cooled kart engines but it is hygroscopic, so I personally won't be using that.

By all accounts, I may have been really fortunate that big ends haven't burnt out with the stuff I use, but I have to say that the crankshafts I've used have been built by some of the best in the industry, IMHO. That's not dismissive of any other crankshaft builders, but my choices are often based upon "who I wouldn't use" but I also do check runout etc & have been satisfied with my choices.

However, I listen to other opinions, specifically those that build reliable, powerful engines. I continue to use my choice of oil @ a ratio that I feel appropriate, even though my oil of choice has received negative comments. The negative comments have not made me change my mind concerning the brand, but struck a cord as far as mix ratios. For example, in a reed valve engine that I built & is the most extensively tuned & powerful yet (for me!) the crankcase is ported in line with the rod, so that is IMO an obvious aid to big end lubrication. Yet, more power will need more oil, regardless of that fact. So, I am grateful to have received comments about the oil I use because it was a good reminder of an obvious fact.

Just bear that in mind, whatever your choice. Also, never forget the effect of changing the mix ratios will affect carburation
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Martin s » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:14 pm

I've just bought 20 litres for £73.18 inc. vat & delivery. £3.65 a litre, couldn't refuse. :shock:
Martin s

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:47 am

As there are many fans of different oils, Rock's Groundsman in particular, I wondered if anybody was aware of the flashpoint :?:

Rock publish details for their excellent Synthesis (150°C) which I have used on track & my current (Exol) is 140° C. To my mind, those flashpoints are safe & where you need to be for a tuned engine which inevitably will run hotter in producing good power without backing off/retarding ignition to the point where flexibility is lost.

Not all of us choose to run substantially retarded fixed ignitions, or even retarding ignitions. I find that 19 DBTDC is a good compromise on the engines I build for road use.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby steeleyscoot » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:58 am

I have used Groundsman Semi-Synthetic for some years and had no issues in tuned and standard engines.

This is the cheapest place I found for it currently even when VAT and shipping is taken into account (cheaper than Garfitts who I have used in the past)

https://globalhygiene.com/product/rock- ... -oil-5ltr/

Cheers.
steeleyscoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:37 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:As there are many fans of different oils, Rock's Groundsman in particular, I wondered if anybody was aware of the flashpoint :?:

Rock publish details for their excellent Synthesis (150°C) which I have used on track & my current (Exol) is 140° C. To my mind, those flashpoints are safe & where you need to be for a tuned engine which inevitably will run hotter in producing good power without backing off/retarding ignition to the point where flexibility is lost.

Not all of us choose to run substantially retarded fixed ignitions, or even retarding ignitions. I find that 19 DBTDC is a good compromise on the engines I build for road use.

As this thread suddenly came back to life, I thought I'd seek the answer to my own question.....

According to TC Fixings that publish the specification for Groundsman 2 stroke, the flashpoint is only 96°C :o
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:39 pm

burnside wrote:I've always bought my Groundsman from Garfitts, gone up in price recently from £4 to £5 a litre but still cheap compared to others. Current prices are £21.09 5l and £79.99 for 20l, + VAT on both of those.

+ 1, must get some more in ;)
coaster

Postby alex_hughes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:08 pm

I've used the Groundsman for about ten years, covered thousands of miles - I really like it and I didn't have any concerns about using it, though I would say that my engines are modestly tuned.

However, Lambretta Paranoia is now creeping in... what is the relevance of the flash point please?
alex_hughes

Postby Tractorman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Oil is very much a personal preference thing. I have been using groundsman for several years without problems. I think Rock oil are catching on because it has gone up in price recently.
Tractorman

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:22 pm

alex_hughes wrote:I've used the Groundsman for about ten years, covered thousands of miles - I really like it and I didn't have any concerns about using it, though I would say that my engines are modestly tuned.

However, Lambretta Paranoia is now creeping in... what is the relevance of the flash point please?

I think it's best to consider all the varying aspects of a two stroke oil & suggest that the following link is a good read:

http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/oil.html
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby GRTDKAD » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:07 am

I’m in the Fully Synthetic minority by the looks of it.
Running a JBT TS1 and a Rayspeed built RB25 it’s not worth scrimping over oil. It just removes a variable if ever one of these engines fails.

Recently took a delivery from Opie Oils of Castrol POWER1 Racing 2T Fully Synthetic: 5x 1litre for £45.80 and £7ish for delivery. Worked out at £10.54 per litre delivered.
Quite happy with that.
GRTDKAD

PreviousNext

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3