LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fully synthetic oil versus semi synthetic oil

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Fully synthetic oil versus semi synthetic oil

Postby Tractorman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:08 pm

GRTDKAD wrote:I’m in the Fully Synthetic minority by the looks of it.
Running a JBT TS1 and a Rayspeed built RB25 it’s not worth scrimping over oil. It just removes a variable if ever one of these engines fails.

Recently took a delivery from Opie Oils of Castrol POWER1 Racing 2T Fully Synthetic: 5x 1litre for £45.80 and £7ish for delivery. Worked out at £10.54 per litre delivered.
Quite happy with that.

Just as riders who spend much less a litre and have no oil related problems are happy.
Tractorman

Re: Fully synthetic oil versus semi synthetic oil

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:26 pm

Tractorman wrote:
GRTDKAD wrote:I’m in the Fully Synthetic minority by the looks of it.
Running a JBT TS1 and a Rayspeed built RB25 it’s not worth scrimping over oil. It just removes a variable if ever one of these engines fails.

Recently took a delivery from Opie Oils of Castrol POWER1 Racing 2T Fully Synthetic: 5x 1litre for £45.80 and £7ish for delivery. Worked out at £10.54 per litre delivered.
Quite happy with that.

Just as riders who spend much less a litre and have no oil related problems are happy.

As I understand it, an oil such as Groundsman will be adequate if certain conditions are maintained. Due to factors such as lubricity, shear & flashpoint, the mix ratio will need to be richer than other, fully synthetic oils.

That needs to be factored into any costings applied.

I cannot see any reason for changing from the oil that I use. The engines that I have built & used it in have proved reliable & powerful with no indication of exasperated wear. The oil can be used with ratios as lean as 50:1 in one cast iron bore barrel that comfortably pulls TV200 top gearing which confirms torque, but I'd estimate about 25 BHP if a figure needs to be given. Obviously, the fact that less is used means less trips to fetch it or delivery costs ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3