LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SSC Taffy Exhaust

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

SSC Taffy Exhaust

Postby Meds » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 pm

I’m trying to fit an SSC Taffy copy, but the rear tail can bracket doesn’t fit to the casing or meet up so I think I need some spacers.
I’ve fitted some 18mm stud couplers but they don’t space it out far enough to allow the bracket to fit, but I could modify the bracket.
Can someone tell me how long the JL3 spacers are and any mods they did to make it fit better.

I’m not convinced of the fit from the stub pipe to goose neck- it seems a bit tight and when heats up will stress the stub pipe. A little bending of the bracket may be in order here.

Any advice would be helpful.
Meds

Re: SSC Taffy Exhaust

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:16 pm

fitted plenty of these in mild steel, chrome and stainless and never had any problems.

fitted them using the standard two pint fixing bracket, 3 point bracket and the SLJ alloy type

the spacer/tubes on the casing for a standard bracket should be 25mm - just measured a spare set I have

I always put a long threaded bar/stud (x2 or 3 depending on bracket) in the casing, spacers, bracket some penny washers a nyloc nut - I`m not a fan of using the bolts that come with kit

you may need a spacer between the two tail pipe brackets - ive uses Teflon spacers fromm JL pipes and mini exhaust mounts.

I`ve found every pipe is different on the end can, sitting in different positions hence the need for differing spacers

First ones were made with 42mm u bends then they went to 48mm - what have you got ss or mild ?

Ive got 4 in service at minute and one on the shelf ; SS, Chrome and just painted so I can do photos if needed

hope this helps

if need be I can do photos and email you.
gaz_powell

Postby Meds » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks gaz
Last edited by Meds on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds

Postby Meds » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks gaz
That’s exactly what I needed.
I need to get the spacers and give it a go

I’m still not happy with the front bracket so I need to elongate the holes and bend the front bracket out by 3mm so it fits without force.
Meds

Postby Toddy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 am

When I fitted one I found all the joints to be a very tight fit when new making the pipe awkward to fit dremeled them so they were free and gae more movement in the pipe , no issues at tail can end though , what engine is it going on ? No cylinder packers or anything ?
Toddy

Postby Norrie Bodge » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:06 am

Anyone fitted one of these pipes to a S2 with std footboards ?
I know it’ll need the rear board trimming a bit, but does the end can clear panel ok?

Cheers
Norrie Bodge

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:56 am

Definately worth opening up the holes on the main casing bracket (anything to destress it). Thinking back I did have to clean up the u bend main body joint to help fitting/removal on one or two (thinking on it was the SS ones)
Meds elongating the main bracket might help the overall fit.
I always get ubend and main pipe fitting then deal with the end can bracketry/connection last.
Everyone have fitted has been slightly different. I've got one with a very upswept tail pipe, close to panel, one which very horizontal and parallel with panel, one that mildly swept up and out (thats on S2 to clear the panel handle), the others were to close.
I think you would manage one on a S2 with boards with a bit of work. Done 2 on S3 with minimal work. But like i said everyone seems different.
One of the biggest problems I have is the main body fouling the kickstart some not at all and some a lot.
Good luck, good pipes in my opinion once fitted mine all continue to served me well.
gaz_powell

Postby Meds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm

It a painted one going on a rapido, no packers, but there will be.
The joints are tight, there’s plenty of little tweaks that need doing.
I didn’t get any spacers in the kit and a lack of pictures available didn’t help.
My plan is to get it dry fitting easily and correctly before I final fit.
It might take me a week or so now
Thanks for all your help
Meds

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 pm

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-JL-E ... nav=SEARCH

Standard bracket that bolts to casing for rear part is two point fixing - which is adequate as long as pipe fits well and no stress. Done a few with no issues.
gaz_powell

Postby Meds » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Finally got round to fitting it
https://www.facebook.com/10000205472799 ... 369633967/
Thanks for all your help
Meds

Postby Toddy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Meds wrote:Finally got round to fitting it
https://www.facebook.com/10000205472799 ... 369633967/
Thanks for all your help

Nice work
Toddy

Postby Solid Air » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes nice one Paul 8-)
Solid Air

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Nice one
Never had one not square on the casing bracket like that.
Mind never had two the same either.
gaz_powell

Postby Meds » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:27 pm

This is a close out

Will it’s fitted and ok but when I fitted the foot board (after running it for a while) it sits too high by 3-4 mm to allow the footboard free movement.
I don’t like the way it makes the power so the old PM exhaust is back on.
Meds

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3