LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

No readout from Koso CHT gauge

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

No readout from Koso CHT gauge

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:53 pm

I purchased a KOSO cylinder head temperature gauge from SIP. I have an AC system so purchased an Intelliconverter from Scootronics to power it.

The Intelliconverter is powering the gauge and is working as I can charge my iPhone from it. The backlight on the gauge is working but I am getting no readout from the gauge at all. You have to hold the button down for 3 seconds and it should then burst into life. It doesn’t.

I have checked the continuity of all the wiring and it is all good.

I’ll post up a drawing of the way it is wired in a bit but, for now, is there any way of checking whether there is a problem with the gauge itself? It could be that this gauge is fairly old stock as the internal battery it came with was dead. I had to buy a new one.

The sensor. I broke the first one in fitting it. I have fitted a new one.
Storkfoot

Re: No readout from Koso CHT gauge

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 pm

The backlight on most gauges will illumante at very low voltages but the display will need what it says in the manual for the gauge.
Are you supplying the correct voltage level?
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 pm

The instructions don’t say what voltage is required to power the display. It only says 9v is needed to make the backlight work.

I’ll check the voltage though. Cheers.
Storkfoot

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 am

Have you any manufacturers details regarding the gauge model?
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 am

Apologies, posting pics from an iPhone
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:The backlight on most gauges will illumante at very low voltages but the display will need what it says in the manual for the gauge.
Are you supplying the correct voltage level?

I have 10.5 volts at tickover going in to the Intelliconverter via the yellow on regulator. But, only 3v (4v if I rev it) coming out.
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I have a feeling that it needs a load on it to give the correct output voltage. I seem to remember this from when I fitted one to Roy Hooper's super scooter, the Love Missile.
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Re-reading those instructions, it’s the battery only that powers the LCD display. The backlight is DC 12v and so is powered through the Intelliconverter.

I then discovered that I had the battery installed incorrectly as there’s a tang that should sit over the battery, not underneath it.

So, having made this progress, I was hopeful that the display would burst into life. Sadly, I was wrong. Still dead.

I’ll leave it now until the weekend.
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Is the Koso the same as the Stage 6 gauge? if so. the poxy display only stays on for a few seconds :roll:
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:57 pm

coaster wrote:Is the Koso the same as the Stage 6 gauge? if so. the poxy display only stays on for a few seconds :roll:

Not sure, mate. They look similar but not exactly the same externally. Progress would be getting the display to work for one second! But then again, there’s no accounting for user error :roll:

At the weekend,I’ll check continuity again, battery connections, test other sensor in hot water,
check the voltage on battery and try another battery. If that doesn’t work, it’s going back to SIP.
Storkfoot

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 am

definately sounds like an internal battery problem.
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:definately sounds like an internal battery problem.

Tested the “new” internal battery this morning. It was only producing 0.4v. Replaced with another new one producing over 4v and the gauge burst into life. I can only assume that putting the battery in incorrectly in the first place lost nearly all of its charge.

From looking on the internet I’m not the only person who has fitted the battery incorrectly.

Anyway, it is working. For now :)
Storkfoot

Postby ROClarke » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Seem to remember my internal battery was flat when I purchased mine,it must have come the long way round via the Panama Canal.lol
ROClarke

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3