LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Drive side bearing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Drive side bearing

Postby Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:12 am

Hello everyone
I have a drive side bearing with the ball bearing sealed by a metal seal on both sides. Is this ok to go in like this or do I have to try and remove one side like it says in the 'book'
Cheers Jim
Jim

Re: Drive side bearing

Postby Norrie Bodge » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Yes just pop one side off with a thin bladed flat screwdriver m8
& when fitting put that side on the drive sprocket side!
Norrie Bodge

Postby Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Good stuff all done bearing fitted!
Jim

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Norrie Bodge wrote:Yes just pop one side off with a thin bladed flat screwdriver m8
& when fitting put that side on the drive sprocket side!

Deep groove ball bearings are obtainable in several configurations, with shield or seals on one side or both.

The commonly called “Z” metal shields are ‘non-contact’ elements which, for the purposes of “2-Z” bearings retains the grease fitted to ensure long life.

Alternatively, the commonly called “R” rubber seals are ‘contact’ elements which, for the purposes of “2-R” bearings retains the grease fitted to ensure long life & to seal either side of them, up to an extent.

Obviously, either can be used in 2-Z or 2-R form without modification as they have their own built in lubrication.

If ever I have used the 2-R type & left one seal in place, I have always fitted the seal side toward the crankshaft to augment the crankshaft oil-seal, with the open side on the chain case side to receive necessary lubrication. I have never wanted to fit Z type & cannot imagine why anybody would, other than they nicked 'em from work, in which case I (oops!) I mean they would pop off both shields.

However, once you start popping off only one shield or seal, you have to think about which way to fit them.

Fitting the other way around simply means that when the grease fitted to the deep groove ball bearings gets hot, it will migrate to anywhere it feels like in the void between it & the crankshaft oil-seal, risking premature wear.

It’s only hope of long term survival is if the crankshaft oil-seal fails, yet again…..
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Crikey thanks for that
Jim

Postby dscscotty » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:05 pm

I personally have stopped using sealed bearings, preferring the outer lip of the crank side seal to be well lubed!
dscscotty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3