LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bent kick start

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Bent kick start

Postby dickie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:44 pm

My kick start doesn't line up properly. I don't know if it's the wrong type or bent, but I suspect the latter. Can i just bend it back by hanging on it in the vice? or will it crack? I don't have a decent heat source.

Image20190101_132255

The LI3 I'm building is made up from whatever I have lying around; only buying if absolutely necessary, so I have no intention of getting a new one.
dickie

Re: Bent kick start

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:51 pm

I wouldn't bend it now. You could end up making a world of trouble for yourself when you actually fit the engine and find it doesn't clear the footboard. It's possible it may have been changed at some point, it's difficult to tell. But it doesn't appear to be bent. Kickstarts are a bit of a lottery, and it's probably best to just mix and match rather than altering it physically.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 pm

dickie wrote:My kick start doesn't line up properly. I don't know if it's the wrong type or bent, but I suspect the latter. Can i just bend it back by hanging on it in the vice? or will it crack? I don't have a decent heat source.

Image20190101_132255

The LI3 I'm building is made up from whatever I have lying around; only buying if absolutely necessary, so I have no intention of getting a new one.

A good heat source will bend the kickstart to where you want it. Obviously, it must be removed first. They are quite tough, due to the forging process, so you might struggle bending it any other way, though a hydraulic press would do it.

Haven't you got any Blacksmiths in the area?
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks gents. I'm just going to leave it until I fit the engine and footboards.

If it needs bending I'll take it to the local forge which I pass every day.
dickie

Postby HxPaul » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:54 pm

That looks like a series 1 or 2 kickstart lever.When you look down the hole for the kickstart bolt,can you see the splines of the kickstart shaft.If you cant then its maybe a series 1 or 2 kickstart lever.
HxPaul

Postby dickie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:55 am

HxPaul wrote:That looks like a series 1 or 2 kickstart lever.When you look down the hole for the kickstart bolt,can you see the splines of the kickstart shaft.If you cant then its maybe a series 1 or 2 kickstart lever.

Thanks paul. I also think it's s1/2, and I don't care too much as longbas it works and clears the boards. There is the notch in the splined shaft and the bolt hole aligns with it. I think it came with a Spanish winter I bought a few years ago. Lost track.
dickie

Postby peejay » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 am

as suggested above, leave it until engine is fitted and you can offer up the floorboard as well. as it is now there is enough resting on the stop to be ok and if you are fitting a bigbore then you will have enough clearance for the tailpipe.

all the ones i have had to alter have been bent cold using a large vice with 18" stilsons with extension tube and aluminium plates to protect the plating.
peejay

Postby kennystag » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 am

Hi bent one of mine in a vice with a scaffold tube.
Stag
:)
kennystag

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am

dickie wrote:
HxPaul wrote:That looks like a series 1 or 2 kickstart lever.When you look down the hole for the kickstart bolt,can you see the splines of the kickstart shaft.If you cant then its maybe a series 1 or 2 kickstart lever.

Thanks paul. I also think it's s1/2, and I don't care too much as longbas it works and clears the boards. There is the notch in the splined shaft and the bolt hole aligns with it. I think it came with a Spanish winter I bought a few years ago. Lost track.

Spanish series 2's may have a different kickstart shaft to Italian ones because the Italian one doesn't have the notch in the middle of the splines like a series 3 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-LI ... :rk:5:pf:0
HxPaul

Postby dickie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 pm

I think the kickstart shaft is early indian. It's a gp125 motor originally, but it has a 2 part gear selector shaft. Maybe it is Italian, but the number stamps look Indian. Also, the kickstart bolt is m7.
dickie

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3