LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

series 1/2 grips - any alternative ?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

series 1/2 grips - any alternative ?

Postby al pushpak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 am

hi, just wondered if anyone know's of a softer,more vibration resistant set of grips that will fit a series 1/2 handlebar, I currently have a pair of ballon grips on which are a great improvement on the standard grips but was hoping there was maybe something more comfortable available to help with the arthritis in my hands :cry: thanks for any info. cheers ;)
al pushpak

Re: series 1/2 grips - any alternative ?

Postby HxPaul » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:42 am

I recently replaced a pair of balloon grips on my series 1.I replaced them with standard grips and I find their much more comfortable.I had too replace them because I found that my hands ached and I got pins and needles.They seem alright with the standard grips.
HxPaul

Postby Norrie Bodge » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Is there any weighted ball ended grips out there for S1/2
Norrie Bodge

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm

I sympathise. I suffer a little from arthritis and it can make operating the clutch, together with twisting, a bit of a pain. It's only on the one scooter, where the clutch is a little heavier perhaps. On that one I use dog leg levers, which seem to help. That might be something else you can look at. Probably not good with balloon grips though.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby compass » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:49 pm

I had some vibration issues, I got some foam motorbike anti vibration sleeves from alchemyparts.co.uk.

They will slide over balloon grips with some washing up liquid applied, don't look good and makes the grips fatter, however they are excellent for absorbing vibration.

Recomended with a big thumbs up. 8-)
compass

Postby soullad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 am

Interesting .. are there any bar end weights for S1/2?
soullad

Postby Raveydavey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:02 am

Don't limit yourself to what scooter dealers offer. Anything 25mm will fit. most motorbike grips come with the throttle side 25 and the non throttle side 22mm. Just buy two sets of the pair you like. I actually think Harley Davidson grips are 25mm both sides and there's a few nice spongy options made for those.
Raveydavey

Postby corrado » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 pm

As Raveydavy says the 25mm Harley ones will fit the 27mm bars on S1 / S2 models but it does stretch the rubber and so consequently they wear out much faster than normal, I'm basing this on using 2 x 22mm ones on my GP that didn't last very long. I have got a pair of nice soft rubber grips that are actually a loose fit on my S2 bars, the plan is to use several layers of double sided tape on the bars first (an old golf club grip tip) that will keep then firmly in place. Off the top of my head I'm not sure where they came from, if I remember I'll post a link.
corrado

Postby rossclark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 pm

Golf grip tape and adhesive - good idea. :idea:

For club grips you put the tape on soak it with the liquid adhesive and also squirt it round the inside of the grip then push it on while its wet. Sets in about 20 mins. I don't know why this never occurred to me for bar grips before :o
rossclark

Postby corrado » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 pm

rossclark wrote:Golf grip tape and adhesive - good idea. :idea:

For club grips you put the tape on soak it with the liquid adhesive and also squirt it round the inside of the grip then push it on while its wet. Sets in about 20 mins. I don't know why this never occurred to me for bar grips before :o

Spoken like a true golfer. lol. I've fitted hundreds, using petrol, you have to work quickly though as the petrol evaporates quickly.
corrado

Postby ROClarke » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:13 pm

MB sells some with bar end weights,don’t know how good they are though.
ROClarke

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 pm

There are some foam slips that fit over the grips giving them a soft and hopefully more comfort from the vibrations.
Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 am

I tried the foam slip over tubes, and found them uncomfortable due the increased diameter and when throttling of my hand with winter gloves on got trapped between grip and hydraulic MC lever.
The MBR TZR type are very thin and tight on the tubes so not much "comfort' especially on long rides, the bar ends make no difference
Last edited by gaz_powell on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz_powell

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am

I actually drilled out some S3 balloon grips to fit my S1. Did it quite easily with one of those sander attachments for the drill (don't know their proper name). Not helpful to OP but just thought i'd add to this debate.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby al pushpak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

thanks for all your replies & info, got some soft rubber motorcycle one's to try so hopefully these will be a lot comfier. thanks again ;)
al pushpak

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3