LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Work and drive

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Work and drive

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Whoops- title should be “Worm and Drive” :)

I have had several issues with Speedo worms not meshing correctly with my drive over the past few months. I have to admit that I have been lazy and only been replacing the worms though.

I am now going to replace both parts.

My question is, which ones should I buy?

I am not attracted to metal drives as I’d rather not risk a part like this potentially locking up. I have a variety below which are all slightly different though. The middle one, from memory, is SIL and appears better made than the others.

Storkfoot

Re: Work and drive

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Was going to suggest the metal ones sold by MB as after a lot of faffing about with two different nylon ones recently these were noticeably better made, and more importantly works.

However if you don’t want metal how about Scootopia?
Scooterdude

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Scootopia is the one on left and the plastic is quite brittle. Bits easily flake off at the edge. I have used 4 of them so far but I am not blaming them as I have not replaced as a pair.
Storkfoot

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes I’m guessing if you dont replace as a pair and one’s a slightly different pitch to the other excessive wear will result in a very short time.

We had a cheapo off of eBay that was to big to go on the wheel side, so be careful plenty of shite about.
Scooterdude

Postby Digger » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 pm

After several 5 minute nylon/plastic wonders I always get the metal ones from MB.
Digger

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Digger wrote:After several 5 minute nylon/plastic wonders I always get the metal ones from MB.

I’m probably being overly paranoid about the possibility of them locking up as, in reality, the cable would snap first.

I’ll follow your lead and give the MB ones a go. I’ll lap them in with grinding paste, if needed.

Thanks for all the replies.
Storkfoot

Postby Dazts1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 am

Hi Paul.
Like yourself I have had trouble in the past. I also went with the mb option and grinding paste. I worked it on the bench for a good 10 mins with the paste. Cleaned off it ran very smooth and has kept me a Speedo for just over the last 5000miles.
On my new built scoot which has only been to brid and back I thought I’d try the nylon setup you mention. Thinking quality must of got better. By the time I’d returned from my 200 mile trip I had no speedo. Thinking I wish I’d bought the mb setup and dissing the nylon setup I had fitted. On investigation I was happy to find the inner cable had managed to pull back and the worm was still spinning freely. I shortened the outer cable and recrimped and all seems good. Although no real mileage has been covered. I was just glad it wasn’t chewed up.
Dazts1

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks, Daz. I have just bitten the bullet and bought the MB one. Hopefully, that’ll be a fit and forget part :D
Storkfoot

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm

ive had good success with the cheaper metal ones - again as Daz said using grinding paste.

I chewed an MB one up on an external disc set up, when it happened there was no noticeable affect - it just stopped working, they are pretty soft metal.
gaz_powell

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:31 pm

This is the old hub drive. As you can see, it has not been knocked fully on the hub. This is incorrect I presume. Is that right?

Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3