LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

rear shock absorber

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

rear shock absorber

Postby stephena » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Looking to buy a rear shocker for a gp getting confused some advertised at 300mm and other 320mm what is the correct length please.
stephena

Re: rear shock absorber

Postby missing lynx » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 pm

missing lynx

Postby Raveydavey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 pm

The longer one is for S1/ S2
Raveydavey

Postby Stesjh » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 pm

May seem a stupid question but im guessing you cannot fit a S3 on to a S1/2?
Stesjh

Postby Knowledge » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:50 pm

I am pretty sure you can.
Knowledge

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:01 am

Stesjh wrote:May seem a stupid question but im guessing you cannot fit a S3 on to a S1/2?

Some tw@t I know has a S3 type on his S2 which makes it look like a dog tobogganing to get rid of it's clinkers.The handling is appalling, but as long as he had a 'bling' £156 rear shocker, that hardly matters.

Fit an S1 or S2 rear shock absorber to a S1 or S2 (or S3 to gain ground clearance & sharpen up the steering)

I doubt ANY full bodywork Lambretta S3 race machine has used shorter than S2 since the 1960's
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby al pushpak » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 am

I have series the 3 - 300mm rear shocks fitted to both my series 1's & they both handle fine , yes they sit lower but I prefer the ride height set this way ;)also both have ts1 motor's in with no frame/manifold clearance issues. I would suggest maybe your mate has the settings wrong on his "bling" shocker ;)
al pushpak

Postby Scooter Paul » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:08 am

Fitting a series 3 shock to a series 1 or 2 makes getting the rear wheel off difficult. The longer, original length, shock allows the tyre to clear the fixed panel bracket.
Scooter Paul

Postby al pushpak » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 am

"Fitting a series 3 shock to a series 1 or 2 makes getting the rear wheel off difficult. The longer, original length, shock allows the tyre to clear the fixed panel bracket" - I've trimmed the panel bracket's on my series 1's so rear wheel removal is no longer a problem ;)
al pushpak

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 pm

al pushpak wrote:I have series the 3 - 300mm rear shocks fitted to both my series 1's & they both handle fine , yes they sit lower but I prefer the ride height set this way ;)also both have ts1 motor's in with no frame/manifold clearance issues. I would suggest maybe your mate has the settings wrong on his "bling" shocker ;)

The geometry, suspension & tyres on a Lambretta can be optimised & enhanced to achieve differences, whether that means cruising comfortably or enabling high corner speeds to the extent that a standard exhaust will be the limiting factor. Kerist, even in the 70's we had to take a hacksaw to the exhaust box to avoid grounding, & that was with tyres with the grip of the current Prime Minister!

I understand that there are those content to compromise. This Forum is a place to express opinions, some of them even factual, but some are not.

However, if some tw@t were to recommend the sporting handling of a rear shock absorber that is not the correct length, & too short by some margin, then I believe that is nonsense & needs addressing from a safety aspect.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby al pushpak » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Whenever I reply to a post on this forum it's never my intention to force my opinion on anyone about anything, but just simply to inform people of my own personal experiences of trial & error! :? as I stated in my post I have found this set up to be satisfactory for my own personal riding preference & by no means should anyone rush out & start fitting different length shockers to their scooters without researching it first ! I have been riding Lambrettas for the last 35 years so I think I qualify as someone who knows when something feels right or totally wrong! & at the end of the day they are my scooters to do with as I like :) ;)
al pushpak

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 am

al pushpak wrote:Whenever I reply to a post on this forum it's never my intention to force my opinion on anyone about anything, but just simply to inform people of my own personal experiences of trial & error! :? as I stated in my post I have found this set up to be satisfactory for my own personal riding preference & by no means should anyone rush out & start fitting different length shockers to their scooters without researching it first ! I have been riding Lambrettas for the last 35 years so I think I qualify as someone who knows when something feels right or totally wrong! & at the end of the day they are my scooters to do with as I like :) ;)

I had not imagined that your intentions were anything but good & appropriate :D

However, like you, I would imagine, I am aware that there are those that do not consider all of the options & consequences of what they read, or say, on this Forum & my comment was only an attempt to convey that whenever the safety of a machine may be affected, then any change to the generic set up should be considered very carefully :!:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Buy the latest Bgm rear shocker as it covers all bases 300-310 on overall length and has adjustable rebound and preload for a decent price ;) job done
ULC Soulagent

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:42 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:Buy the latest Bgm rear shocker as it covers all bases 300-310 on overall length and has adjustable rebound and preload for a decent price ;) job done

Must admit I'm not sure about these adjustable shocks. If you take them out to 310 you can't have a lot left on a thin stem.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:06 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:Buy the latest Bgm rear shocker as it covers all bases 300-310 on overall length and has adjustable rebound and preload for a decent price ;) job done

Must admit I'm not sure about these adjustable shocks. If you take them out to 310 you can't have a lot left on a thin stem.

Well I’m sure they have tested that too destruction before being released too us mere mortals ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Ranburetta » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:23 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:
ToBoldlyGo wrote:

Well I’m sure they have tested that too destruction before being released too us mere mortals ;)

Extract from BGM catalogue:

Ranburetta

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Yes I’ve seen those and might get some as I’m currently restoring a 78 Jet200 :mrgreen:
ULC Soulagent

Postby shane BBoys » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:52 pm

I have. Jet and bought the spacer for mine https://s58.photobucket.com/user/Botohp ... t.png.html

But it will not slide on is there something I’m not doing? Currently I have the shocker packed out with locking rings which I know is not great but for the last 4 years has served me well.
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Ranburetta » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:56 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:Yes I’ve seen those and might get some as I’m currently restoring a 78 Jet200 :mrgreen:

I was more intersted in the statement "with no defective rear shockers since the introduction of the adjustable black rear shock in 2010 (!!!)"
Ranburetta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3