LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Servetta rear brake pulsing pedal

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Servetta rear brake pulsing pedal

Postby Roxtaffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi all

I have a servetta sx200 lynx 84 with pulsing rear brake I have changed the rear hub several times and makes no difference checked layshaft for trueness and bearing is all ok, but still have the intermittent brake pedal as if the drum is oval. Any ideas thanks Dave
Roxtaffy

Re: Servetta rear brake pulsing pedal

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Roxtaffy wrote:Hi all

I have a servetta sx200 lynx 84 with pulsing rear brake I have changed the rear hub several times and makes no difference checked layshaft for trueness and bearing is all ok, but still have the intermittent brake pedal as if the drum is oval. Any ideas thanks Dave

You have more than likely made the correct diagnosis.

If you lift the wheel off the ground & gradually tighten the cable until it just causes the shoes to rub, spin by hand, & if the drum catches in two places per revolution, then the hub is oval.

If the hub is a genuine Serveta hub, I am surprised. As for all the hubs you have tried, I guess you've been unlucky, though if you can borrow a 'true' hub, it would prove the problem.

In my experience, skimming won't cure the ovality.

You can actually get used to it & treat it like a crude ABS, especially as the front does the majority of the braking & the rear is for 'steadying' the bike if anything, with a tendency to lock up.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I agree... Hub skimming is not worth the cost either unless you have free access to a good lathe.
Just bite the bullet and fit a new hub with a new compression cone.
Fast n Furious

Postby Roxtaffy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks for the replies as I’ve been riding like this for 30 years I think i can cope as is,thanks again
Roxtaffy

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3