LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Intermittent Clutch Creep

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Intermittent Clutch Creep

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 pm

If there was, it would only make your clutch lever action more difficult than usual.
As WT1 states:- all components must be fit for purpose.
Fast n Furious

Postby Hat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:13 pm

just asking as mine had the same at the weekend after a 80 mile ride. might try moving the arm back a spline or two
Hat

Postby Granty » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Ok Boys -- the plot thickens and another update, out for a 10 mile shakedown yesterday and same thing, clutch works OK cold but after a few miles clutch starts to drag and when I pull the clutch in it feels like it's hardly engaged at all, split the case today to check everything over -- got the clutch compressor out and compressed the clutch, there is hardly any movement between the plates even when the clutch is in fully, there's no separation really to speak off, it has a 3mm outer plate. Looks like the other plates have had some heat. I guess what's happening is that because of the lack of separation and clearance heat's just building.

MB springs are good, no rubbing on kickstart, all plates and corks running freely up and down the bell -- it just looks like there's not enough clearance for the plates & corks to separate when the holding plate & ring is in place and the clutch is depressed. So it looks like new plates and a 2mm holding plate now.

Onwards !!!!
Granty

Postby Covboy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:49 am

I had a similar problem with my Clutch
Some of The steels turned out to be slightly warped. To the eye they looked true and flat but placed on a glass pane they were clearly not.
Replaced the entire set and all fine now .
Covboy

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

To empathise what has been said already, I have watched in (almost!) disbelief as an Indian clutch bell compressed along with the springs.

It is essential to check coil bound length of clutch springs rather than rely upon the word of somebody that may claim to have invented the wheel.

The crownwheel must be of the type that allows for full depth of the ears of the friction plates. A two piece 46T is easily derivitted, the slots extended, then re-assembled with high tensile button heads direct into the carefully tapped main body.

The thickest top plate (3.0 mm) is not going to do you any favours! Especially if the centre (spider) is also some cr@ppy under length item!

With care & a methodical approach with nothing other than genuine OEM components, a six plate CLW clutch, let alone a five plater, can be fitted with suitable uprated springs to cope with a guesstimated 30 BHP. With ATF, naturally.... :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Granty » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Ok then boys, split the casing. Corks that came out were over 15mm width, with a 3mm holding plate you can do the math.checjed the new corks going in ....14mm on the micrometer. Put in a 2mm holding plate and bent the last corks lugs down along with new clutch plates. Not done a shakedown yet but initial clutch outs are promising.
Granty

Postby Granty » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Task complete -- new corks in (checked that they are accumulate 14mm thick), new plates and new retaining plate (2mm) in -- skakedown ride today and nanaaa!! sorted. Thanks for everyone's help - G
Granty

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3