LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electronic ignition timing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Electronic ignition timing

Postby Tony Hart » Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi. Would a failing pick up on an electronic ignition affect timing? Struggling to get timing down to 19 degrees after fitting new crank and flywheel. All resistances are within range. Checking timing with strobe.

Cheers

Tony
Tony Hart

Re: Electronic ignition timing

Postby missing lynx » Mon May 06, 2019 8:20 pm

Have you re-done your timing marks and what flywheel have you got as some of the Indian ones are out of line making it nearly impossible to time up
missing lynx

Postby Tony Hart » Mon May 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi ML. Yes redone timing marks as ended up with new mag housing. Used positive stop to set up. Flywheel is Indian but also tried flywheel off running and timed scooter with similar result. Will try another stator and see how that goes.
Tony Hart

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Some Indian flywheels have the points centre boss, which gives problems when trying to set the timing as there is insufficient rotation/adjustment.

How close are you getting? If reasonably close then you can often resolve this by elongating the adjustment slots to allow more rotation. Indeed, I had to do this on a mate's bike this morning.

Good luck.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Tony Hart » Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi Adam. It’s not a point boss. I have one of those that I got when I attempted to just swap the boss on the original flywheel! I’m about 10 degrees out so don’t think that there is enough metal on the slots to extend them far enough. I’m beginning to wonder if the fault might lie with my timing gun. I will try it on a bike that I know is correctly timed. Thank for suggestions. Tony.
Tony Hart

Postby AndyVee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi Tony, did you fix this problem ? I have a similar issue after making the same swap TO crank on an SX case. Wondering if there was a bad batch of parts ?
AndyVee

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:31 am

It's not unknown for the woodruff key slot to be out of position with some new cranks. :o
Fast n Furious

Postby Tony Hart » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:49 am

AndyVee wrote:Hi Tony, did you fix this problem ? I have a similar issue after making the same swap TO crank on an SX case. Wondering if there was a bad batch of parts ?

Hi Andy. I gave up in the end and fitted a BGM flywheel which timed up perfectly straight away. Previously I tried my timing gun on another scooter to make sure the it wasn’t the problem; it wasn’t. The flywheel itself looks identical to another I’ve fitted with no problem, (relative position of timing arrow, key slot and triggers), but it just couldn’t get the timing down to anywhere near 19 degrees. Seller did offer to replace but I’d lost the will to live with it :D

Not much help I’m afraid Andy.
Tony Hart

Postby AndyVee » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks Tony, still having issues even though have acurately set the timing via timing light process to get everything bang on, perhaps I go the same way you did with a better quality flywheel or something but getting to the stage of starting to swap out one part at a time which could get expensive !
AndyVee

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3