LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch spider shims

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Clutch spider shims

Postby Martin s » Sat May 18, 2019 11:24 am

Is anyone using these shims to stop up and down crownwheel movement?
Have seen a story about one disintegrating and making the clutch nut come loose.
Have some which I'm going to use and wondered if this was rare.
Martin s

Re: Clutch spider shims

Postby rossclark » Sat May 18, 2019 11:40 am

These very thin shims are supposed to go between the spider and the crownwheel to keep the crownwheel from floating.

I don't see how one of those disintegrating could make the spider nut come loose. It is tightened against the face of the spider, the shim beneath the spider and the face of the bearing. It should also be fitted with a tab washer.

I had bought some of these shims to attempt to stop this float but none of the ones supplied was actually thin enough.
rossclark

Postby Scooterdude » Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Yes I’ve used these to tighten up the gap when using indian crown wheel’s. £9 for a set of 4 from MB or 53p each from af Rayspeed! :roll:

Just noticed MB want £13 for the set now :o
Scooterdude

Postby al pushpak » Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 pm

I purchased several of these shims from AF Rayspeed & have fitted them to both my engines & while I have never fully eliminated the play they do make a big difference
in minimising the crown wheel play;)
al pushpak

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3