LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Metal finish on brake, gear, clutch arms etc.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Metal finish on brake, gear, clutch arms etc.

Postby corrado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm just rebuilding a S3 engine and all the various brake, clutch are gear arms have come up like new metal after rust removal process but I now need to get them coated or they'll rust in no time. What finish would they have had when original? I know it might be far easier (and probably cheaper) to just use new ones but I'd like to save the originals as I know they don't need any "fettling".
corrado

Re: Metal finish on brake, gear, clutch arms etc.

Postby tim_mason » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 pm

I have just had mine Dull Zinc Coated , Its a very cheap process ,it cost me £30.00 for all of the brake and gear/clutch engine parts and all of the headset internals ,
tim_mason

Postby corrado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm

A local old boy showed me some engine parts that he'd had done but he didn't know what process was used but they were a distinct Yellowish Green and not the dull Silver type finish on the new after market ones like this .....

corrado

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 pm

corrado wrote:A local old boy showed me some engine parts that he'd had done but he didn't know what process was used but they were a distinct Yellowish Green and not the dull Silver type finish on the new after market ones like this .....

That sounds like Yellow Passivate, Martin. I tend to get mine done in that although, of course, it’s not the original finish.
Storkfoot

Postby Meds » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Try these guys Martin
https://www.zincalloyuk.co.uk/
I know some of the lads from Morecambe get stuff done- I think it’s easier if they are deliver wired up for plating.
Phone them
Meds

Postby corrado » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Thanks chaps, I'll contact the above co.
corrado

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3