LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Jumping out of 4th gear

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Jumping out of 4th gear

Postby brumtony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am

I have Spanish li casings with six 200 cogs in my quattrini engine , its started jumping out of 4th gear at high revs (8000) in 4th gear I’m physically having to hold it in on the bars .Ive checked the cable and they adjusted perfect and arm not catching anything .TIA
brumtony

Re: Jumping out of 4th gear

Postby Covboy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:15 am

do you have an upgraded / stronger spring on the gear selector?
Covboy

Postby HxPaul » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 am

Covboy wrote:do you have an upgraded / stronger spring on the gear selector?

Or gators on the cables at the engine end.
HxPaul

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:35 am

HxPaul wrote:
Covboy wrote:do you have an upgraded / stronger spring on the gear selector?

Or gators on the cables at the engine end.

That is a very good point that I was reminded of very recently. They are worth fitting, but the Indian copies have moulding 'flash' between the corrugations & unless that is removed (five minute job with a craft knife or good scissors) it affects gear selection enormously..... :!:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Norrie Bodge » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Check the wishbone gear selector pawls are ok
Norrie Bodge

Postby brumtony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Upgrading spring tomorrow having 1 express delivery from MB , cheers guys see what happens
brumtony

Postby EddieStone » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am

The only time I've ever had this was when a drive side seal had gone and there was no oil in the gearbox. Hope that's not your problem!
EddieStone

Postby Scooterdude » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:42 am

brumtony wrote:Upgrading spring tomorrow having 1 express delivery from MB , cheers guys see what happens

I fitted one of those things for someone, surfice to say it lasted him until he rode home then he rang me to say it was horrible and wanted a new standard one putting back in, which is what i did together with sorting the root cause of the problem which in this case was a worn gear selector sliding dog ( I’m guessing yours is also worn).

No the MB springs are stiff as hell and make changing gear a nightmare. “Sort the cause of the problem don’t paper over the cracks”!

Good luck let us know how you get on with it.
Scooterdude

Postby nickw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Scooterdude wrote:
I fitted one of those things for someone, suffice to say it lasted him until he rode home then he rang me to say it was horrible and wanted a new standard one putting back in.

No the MB springs are stiff as hell and make changing gear a nightmare. “Sort the cause of the problem don’t paper over the cracks”!

Good luck let us know how you get on with it.

I too had one fitted. Made changing gear a nightmare, very hard to get into gear. I also put old spring back in. As above find and sort the problem.
nickw

Postby a.lo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:25 pm

6 cogs??? make sure the wishbone is not bottoming out on the casing near the bearing
a.lo

Postby camel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:55 pm

Been here with a mates sx200 gearbox,i checked everything and tried various springs and a new sliding dog,in the end it was a worn gearbox,the inner diameter of third and fourth gear cogs had developed a big radius,if you look how the sliding dog works driving the gear you can see how it jumps,usually a new sliding dog without the usuall wear cures it,but a combination of gear wear and dog wear forces it to jump out of gear,on this occasion a different gearbox cured it...something to check
camel

Postby bluebob » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm

my indian gp used to jump out of gear at high revs.the wishbone (as someone above mentions) was hitting the casing when in 4th changed wishbone to an old Italian part cured it.you should be able to check with a feeler gauge that the wishbone is not hitting the casing in 4th.
bluebob

Postby holty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:52 pm

its also worth checking your headset that the clutch cable is causing the twist changer to move towards 3rd gear, a bit of work with a round file or a burr will give some clearance and might fix your problem.
holty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3