LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Binding

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Binding

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Just a quick one, because I suspect the answer can be one of two things. My scooter is fine when you push it forward. But push it backwards and the rear hub binds. So either the hub is oval or the break shoes are at fault. But why just backwards?
ToBoldlyGo

Re: Binding

Postby ROClarke » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 pm

They all do this to a degrees,unless you have a habit of riding yours in revertI would not worry about it :D
ROClarke

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 pm

You could try taking the trailing edges of the brake shoes with a file/sand paper, might help. Take care in case they contain asbestos :?
coaster

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:05 am

coaster wrote:You could try taking the trailing edges of the brake shoes with a file/sand paper, might help. Take care in case they contain asbestos :?

I believe that is the solution, as in normal running, there is one (bottom) shoe 'leading' & the other (top) trailing. When the scooter is pushed backwards, the roles are reversed & I think that the top shoe starts to act almost like a sprag & catch the drum surface causing a judder.

A stronger spring would help & I have resorted to making additional holes in the shoes to pre-load the normal spring so that 'off' is more positive on occasion.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Knowledge » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:42 am

Might this be the panel clips digging into the back tyre? I've been caught out by this in the past.
Knowledge

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Yes, that would do it. Only this is on a S2 with fixed clips. I'm going to have to dress the pads I think.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:38 pm

You remember I was having trouble with my rear hub binding? Well it came off! :o I kid you not. I'd been on a good run and noticed a slight weave which I put down to skittish tyres. But then it got slower and slower until I stopped. It wouldn't budge backwards of forwards and it was only when I investigated that I found the hub was coming off. Nobodies fault but my own really. I should have investigated more thorougly in the first place, but decided I would get the shoes trimmed and that would solve it. Just goes to show we should always check these things.
ToBoldlyGo

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3