LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Which Stator ?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Which Stator ?

Postby St George » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:53 am

I have five wires coming out of the engine housing . Two GREEN one WHITE one RED and one Black. Without pulling it to bits, what system am I likely to have in this LI 150 Engine, year unknown. Thanks.
St George

Re: Which Stator ?

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:38 pm

Perhaps it has been rewired in the past using whatever coloured wire the fitter had available?
Probably best to pull the stator and check the connections against the various drawings in Sticky's manual. Consider rewiring it back to a known standard if this proves to be the case.
Fast n Furious

Postby St George » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for reply. Sticky put loads of diagrams in the manual. Will probably end up pulling it down. Just want to test the engine first, not run in a few years. Regards.
St George

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:33 pm

Is it a six pole, 6 Volt, contact breaker points stator?
Fast n Furious

Postby St George » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Pull it to bits when I get back from Spain, thanks for replies.
St George

Postby St George » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Pulled it down today, it is a 12 volt stator without points, four copper coils, a sealed one and the pick up. It is the same as the one on page 155 Third Edition of Sticky's manual. This is in a Italian LI 150 Engine which was bought by the previous keeper. I am trying to link this engine into an Indian Scooter with a CDI Unit and no battery. When I spin the flywheel over by hand I get instant voltage on my Fluke meter on the green wire. Need to get a spark to test the untried rebuilt engine. Not worried about the ignition circuit or lighting at this stage. There is nothing in Sticky's book that helps. Has anyone got a basic diagram so I can test this bike on the bench. Please note the colour of wires I have at the start of this thread. Thanks.
St George

Postby Scooterdude » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Regarding the wires coming from your stator : white=earth. Red= signal from your pick up. Green = pulse from the low tension coil (this is what normally powers the cdi unit). The second green, I’ve no idea, are you certain your not getting it mixed up with the green return to your kill button? Black= power feed from the lighting coils (the 4 copper wound coils) this normally is yellow and goes to input on the regulator from which a brown wire from your loom connects to an adjacent terminal on the regulator to feed the system with a third going from regulator to earth.
Hope this helps.
Scooterdude

Postby rossclark » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Agee ^

Though that assumes that the wires are in the conventional positions - the fact the the colours are non standard should raise concerns.

You need to look at the stator and say which is coming from where or provide a picture for us to be sure what is what.
rossclark

Postby St George » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Wish I could post pictures on here, I can on modern Forums without reducing sizes. I am tempted to go for a new stator, but which one ? My donor SIL Scooter has a junction box in the normal place and the four colours are. Green-Brown-White and yellow. These wires are part of the loom and don't look like they have been messed with. Thanks for replies to date.
St George

Postby Scooterdude » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Can you not just use a multi meter to trace which wire does what without the need to strip anything. Set the meter to 2000ohm then with black probe on a known earth and the red probe on you’re earth wire (normally white) should read 0 or -1. The pickup should depending on how it’s wound give a reading of 96 or 112 (or thereabouts) low tension should be around 500 you’ll soon see what’s what but this still leaves the mystery or rouge green wire let us know what reading you get from that.
Scooterdude

Postby St George » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 pm

I did test the green and white together and got a reading of 490 which is in line with Sticky's page 152. Will have another look after work : )
St George

Postby St George » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Had another go today, I took a green wire from the stator direct to the coil and put an old fashioned strobe light in line with the spark plug. This indicated that I now have a spark just kicking it over by hand. So I am half way there and should be able to test the motor. The ignition switch does not make any difference, so possibly the spare green wire is the kill switch cable. Fingers crossed.
St George

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3