LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gears and Clutch issue

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gears and Clutch issue

Postby Danbretta » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi all,
I've got a problem with my clutch not working properly. I've installed a new clutch followed the manual (soak in oil, check clearance etc). This has been in the scooter probably about a year now . Ive only found the time to carry on with the restoration. Side case has gone back on and oil put in.

Problem is I can select gears ok but while still holding the clutch in the scooter wont roll. It locks up on the gears, also i can change gear at a standstill without pulling the clutch.?

I'm sure I followed all instructions to the manual. This was probably at the back end of last year now, would sitting for a while dry out the clutch and gearbox as its had no oil sitting in it.

I'm fearing it's a strip down again unless theres an easy fix from the cable end?

Any thoughts before I get stuck in are much appreciated.
Danbretta

Re: Gears and Clutch issue

Postby rossclark » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:37 pm

The plates can stick together if left for a while - usually a few kicks will free then off.

Try kicking it over and pulling the clutch lever in and out to see if it binds / slips.
rossclark

Postby Danbretta » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks Ross,
I'll give it a try. I've kicked it over a few times, I'll let the oil soak over and see if that loosens the plates.
Would that make it possible to flick through the gears without using the clutch or would it be a worn selector?
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 pm

All good for now, the plates seem to be free and clutch working.
As you say they have probably stuck due to be sitting for a while..

Thanks for your help. I was on the verge of draining the oil and taking the side off. I did srop a horoscope on through the breather plug and have a look to see what was going on. Handy piece of kit for £20+ saved a few hours work for nothing.
Danbretta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3