LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Are Lambrettas selling

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Are Lambrettas selling

Postby Hornbyfrog123 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 pm

I keenly look at scooters for sale in the respect that I am intrigued by some of the prices being asked.
My question is such, do Lambrettas sell and what is a reasonable price or are they just wasting money on advertising by asking to much? You see the same ones constantly on sale sites and in magazines.
Is there a certain type people are buying because of investment value or do people just buy any Lambretta just to have one?
Would be interested in other owners views.
Hornbyfrog123

Re: Are Lambrettas selling

Postby dickie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:47 pm

I've not had a single bite on mine.

I'd consider mine to be top money at £7k, maybe it's the time of year, bottom falling out, or my inflated greed!
dickie

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:31 am

dickie wrote:I've not had a single bite on mine.

I'd consider mine to be top money at £7k, maybe it's the time of year, bottom falling out, or my inflated greed!

Time of year!
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby keredewor » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:40 pm

dickie wrote:I've not had a single bite on mine.

What are you selling?
keredewor

Postby keredewor » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:44 pm

I am buying for investment but that means a certain criteria that I look for....I prefer original unmolested condition ... not many of them about though... my preference is SX 200 or TV 200... to me they are the most iconic but they also command relatively big money... but they are about ...
keredewor

Postby bookertmgs1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm not sure that investing for the longer term in Lambrettas is a good idea - but each to their own

There are a lot of lambrettas in garages and a quickly aging demographic - that will ultimately drive down prices. Many on here will have more than one, quite a few 2 or 3, decent number 4+, surprising number with 10+. I know one fella with over 100.

all those scooters are either being claered after death or gradually being sold onto the market when its apparent that they cant ride anymore.

The sunday rideout clubs as far as I can see are almost all now auto scooters - royal alloy / scomardi / LML / Vespa GTS. Thats a massive chunk of the market / demand taken away.

Price of "barn finds" doesnt reflect the cost of restauration and the achiveable sales price. People expect to get the money back that they have spent oin paint & parts and dealer labourt and that just doesnt happen. I'm aware of one bloke who has spent 5k on an LI125 (on top of the actual purchase price) and wonders why he's getting offered £2500

Its all a matter of opinions and you spend your money on how you see the market. what is crystal clear to me that the peak prices of 2 years ago are now coming down.

I'm looking for a scooter at the moment - prepared to pay a decent sum for the right one - but its a buyers market and I can afford to take my time and wait for the right one.
bookertmgs1

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:18 pm

keredewor wrote:I am buying for investment but that means a certain criteria that I look for....I prefer original unmolested condition ... not many of them about though... my preference is SX 200 or TV 200... to me they are the most iconic but they also command relatively big money... but they are about ...

Invest in scooters that are so much money nobody buys them? That's going to work. However, if they are an investment it won't matter to you when they are still stuck in your living room in twenty years time.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby compass » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:43 am

I believe the Lambrettas market has probably reached its peak,and my argument is based and agreeing on posted opinions above.

If it was for an investment , buying in the sixties/seventies and early eighties would be the perfect time, but we didn't know that :roll:
Investing? Sell in the good times , buy in the bad is the mantra. Contrary to what the doom and gloom busters in the national press print , this is not a bad time, maybe not brilliant though :lol:

As for investing in cars and bikes, answer the simple question, will they be as or more desirable in 10-20 years time, regards Lambrettas , I dont think so! Thats just my opinion though, I am sure there are many who will contradict, but one factor remains constant, we dont know! Maybe the original, unmolested , with provenance will be more desirable than the ones most of us have chopped,painted and upgraded. Most have become a little bit like Triggers Broom. :lol:

Probably a bit of money to be made on original accessories , LDs and pre 57 also the J range, Luna lines , as upgraded bolt ons have made them more ride-able and interesting to a wider market, who may be a little bored with the traditional series 1,2 & 3s?

In 1990 I sold my Java Green 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 for £2800, I purchased it for £2000 4 years earlier. The guy I sold it to, said he was gonna garage it away as an investment for his future, along with a couple of other cars. So I have always taken an interest in their prices .In case I would one day regret my decision. Today's value? £6000 -£7000 so would just about kept up with inflation. Not really much of an investment! If he had purchased an E type or an early Aston Martin!!!! If only we knew.

Buy them,ride them and only buy as a collector and not for the investment/money. Then you will never be disappointed! ;)
compass

Postby St George » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:30 pm

I am one of those sad people that watch Ebay most days and I feel the sellers think I am going to pay for their over-spend on a restoration. Like wise it is good that people are bringing them back from Italy on the Nova system, but they can be rusty and need a few thousand thrown at them. I can buy a 1960's 175 cc BSA Bantam in running order for about £1,000 or in immaculate condition for about £2,000. I bought a series 3 a few weeks ago for £1,500 and after spending about £60 it is on the road and safe. The seller had it on the market for months and realised he was not going to get the asking price. It came with a clutch compressor, flywheel holder and an engine stand. Are Lambretta's selling, yes for the right price !
St George

Postby Hornbyfrog123 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Great to see the opinions and hear different views on the subject, I've always believed that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay when you want to sell it.
I have an Indian series 2 LI 150 with a SIL GP200 engine, K registered with what I believe to be original paint so shows signs of being used and not hidden. I paid £2K 3 years ago and spent money on New petrol tank, drive chain, clutch, 22mm carburrettor, brake pads, wheels, tyres, re wired LED rear light and generally tidied the wiring as it was a GP indicator loom fitted to suit (got to love the Indian tenacity), it is the best scooter I have ridden and currently I have it insured with an agreed value of £4k. It would be fair to say that having watched the market closely that £4k is over the value I could ask for it or is it? If it was your scooter what would you value it at? Not looking to sell just really curious...
Hornbyfrog123

Postby keredewor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:40 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:
keredewor wrote:I am buying for investment but that means a certain criteria that I look for....I prefer original unmolested condition ... not many of them about though... my preference is SX 200 or TV 200... to me they are the most iconic but they also command relatively big money... but they are about ...

Invest in scooters that are so much money nobody buys them? That's going to work. However, if they are an investment it won't matter to you when they are still stuck in your living room in twenty years time.

If I get that far and end up stuck in my living room in 20 years time I would gladly look at any lambretta............. :D :D
keredewor

Postby Hat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:04 pm

that's an interesting point - what are people getting in terms of agreed value? i have a '67 SX150 which 2 years ago i got an agreed value from the insurer for £4k, earlier this year at policy renew time, they agreed to increase this to £8k without making any significant mods. Now i'm not saying its worth anywhere near that (even £4k is optimistic) but does this factor into people's perception of value?
Hat

Postby gizmo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 pm

Hornbyfrog123 wrote:Great to see the opinions and hear different views on the subject, I've always believed that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay when you want to sell it.
I have an Indian series 2 LI 150 with a SIL GP200 engine, K registered with what I believe to be original paint so shows signs of being used and not hidden. I paid £2K 3 years ago and spent money on New petrol tank, drive chain, clutch, 22mm carburrettor, brake pads, wheels, tyres, re wired LED rear light and generally tidied the wiring as it was a GP indicator loom fitted to suit (got to love the Indian tenacity), it is the best scooter I have ridden and currently I have it insured with an agreed value of £4k. It would be fair to say that having watched the market closely that £4k is over the value I could ask for it or is it? If it was your scooter what would you value it at? Not looking to sell just really curious...

Interesting this. I had a custom scooter with agreed value of £12.000. I sold it and got nowhere near that but if it had been stolen or written off it would have taken that amount to replace it. People pay £8,000 for a casa engine and put it in a £750 rusto so is the scooter worth £9,000. Buggered if I know :lol:
gizmo

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 am

As I see it, you should get paid the agreed value if you've insured it that way to which you've paid an appropriate premium.
Without an agreed value, it then becomes pot luck as the insurance company can decide what it considers the market value of that bike is irrespective of what you paid for it or any expenses and man-hours you have in it.
I've never insured anything under "agreed value" and now wonder what extra the cost is? Does it need to meet any certain criterias?
Must look into it next year.
Fast n Furious

Postby Hat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:21 am

cost me nothing to have an agreed value in place, or to increase it. just have to provide photographic evidence of it's condition. as you say the insurers have no way of truly valuing it's market worth
Hat

Postby St George » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:38 am

Bikesure charge £40.00 for agreed value and are very sneaky about it, 6 photos which must meet their criteria and they sub the valuation request to another company. Never use them again.
St George

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 am

Carole Nash were using "The Vintage Motor Cycle Club" for their valuations which I wasn't happy with. I challenged them about it but got no joy. Another reason I fell out with them.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby St George » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Carol Nash, never again; bullies. Footman James are my favourite.
St George

Postby bookertmgs1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:55 pm

St George wrote:Carol Nash, never again; bullies. Footman James are my favourite.

The only redeeming thing about Carole Nash is the UK and Europe breakdown cover - although I have seen and heard some horror stories - which in real life mean that you are on your own anyway outside the UK
bookertmgs1

Postby brumtony » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Most insurance companies are predicting that prices will fall and not recover due to the ageing demograph of possible buyers , vintage scoots are not an investment and you should be looking elsewhere to invest your hard earned .That said they’re a lot of fun and dont have to concours condition to experience the fun factor
brumtony

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3