LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Break Light

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Break Light

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi.
I am toying with the idea of fitting an original type disk brake to my series 2 ( long time project) I was hoping to stay away from the hydraulic disk break for this bike want something to it the build. Anyhow my question is has anyone managed to use one and fit a light switch so the brake light works with the front brake?
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Re: Brake Light

Postby Knowledge » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:46 am

Shane,

If you are looking for a brake light switch to operate on a cable operated brake, then Vespa used a switch that fits mid-cable and works well. Vespa used this switch on drum-brake models just before the introduction of their disc brake.

I have not used one myself, but in a slight diversion, Keith Terry used one on his gear cable to kill the ignition during clutch-less gear changes on his sprinter.

Martin
Knowledge

Re: Break Light

Postby missing lynx » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:30 am

My Lynx had an in line brake light switch it sat under the horn cast the outer cable was in two parts with the switch between the two parts with the inner cable running through the middle
missing lynx

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Knowledge wrote:Shane,

If you are looking for a brake light switch to operate on a cable operated brake, then Vespa used a switch that fits mid-cable and works well. Vespa used this switch on drum-brake models just before the introduction of their disc brake.

I have not used one myself, but in a slight diversion, Keith Terry used one on his gear cable to kill the ignition during clutch-less gear changes on his sprinter.

Martin

Thanks this was the way I was thinking.
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby St George » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Lucas made those switches for late BSA and Triumphs which were made in about 1971-2. They can be slotted between two half's of a cable, you can chose where. You will find them on Ebay, search Triumph front brake switch. Hope this helps.
St George

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Some Spanish, early 80's, LI150's had these in-line cable brake switches fitted as standard. I've found that even new switches of this type need a fair amount of brake pressure to activate them.
A micro-switch, operated directly from the lever gives a more positive solution but needs "engineering in" to make a tidy job of it.
Fast n Furious

Postby Knowledge » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:12 pm

Shane,

The switch is available from eBay. An example is item 202791970288

Martin
Knowledge

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Knowledge wrote:Shane,

The switch is available from eBay. An example is item 202791970288

Martin

Thank you 1 purchased as well as the through cable.
Cheers Shane
shane BBoys

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3