LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Recommendations for remade centre stand?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Recommendations for remade centre stand?

Postby vegansydney » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:08 am

I'm seeking recommendations for a remade Series 3 centre stand. In particular, looking for one that has the brackets welded at the correct angle, and the spring bung in the right position. Not interested in anything stainless.

I've been burnt on the last 2 stands I've purchased (both from well known manufacturers) and looking for an alternative that doesn't need to be 'massaged' or re-welded straight out of the box :roll:
vegansydney

Re: Recommendations for remade centre stand?

Postby al pushpak » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 am

I recently bought a scootopia one for my series 1 , can't fault it ;)
al pushpak

Postby gizmo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 am

I have used scootopia, cambridge lambretta and mb ones and they have fitted well and scooter sits were it should
gizmo

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:24 pm

vegansydney wrote:I'm seeking recommendations for a remade Series 3 centre stand. In particular, looking for one that has the brackets welded at the correct angle, and the spring bung in the right position. Not interested in anything stainless.

I've been burnt on the last 2 stands I've purchased (both from well known manufacturers) and looking for an alternative that doesn't need to be 'massaged' or re-welded straight out of the box :roll:

Curiosity got a hold on me, so I browsed the eBay for sale section.

I had not realised quite how the situation had become, even with such an item that is mostly not under any great strain as it is the frame that tends to suffer, the 'stops' on the stand itself being reasonably easy to re-align. That said, WT No2 used to fit adjustable screws to his stops, which I used to think a bit gash. The last time his scooter got left with me, I straightened out his stand properly. Not that he noticed :lol:

I wonder if there is, therefore, a market for used OEM stands that have had their stops re-aligned......
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 pm

I agree.
Even a good stand wont make the grade if correct alignment and reinforcement of the crosstrees and J clamps is ignored.
Fast n Furious

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:20 am

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
vegansydney wrote:I'm seeking recommendations for a remade Series 3 centre stand. In particular, looking for one that has the brackets welded at the correct angle, and the spring bung in the right position. Not interested in anything stainless.

Curiosity got a hold on me, so I browsed the eBay for sale section.

I had not realised quite how the situation had become, even with such an item that is mostly not under any great strain as it is the frame that tends to suffer, the 'stops' on the stand itself being reasonably easy to re-align. That said, WT No2 used to fit adjustable screws to his stops, which I used to think a bit gash. The last time his scooter got left with me, I straightened out his stand properly. Not that he noticed :lol:

I wonder if there is, therefore, a market for used OEM stands that have had their stops re-aligned......

As a follow up to this, I did have a look for the stands that I have, & if race bikes are excluded, there may be just one spare. Therefore, the decision to let one go ( :? :oops:) would depend on whether, the racers ever get back on the track. One of them has an Innocenti GP frame, so it might make more sense to get that back on the road.

That said, there must be many stands laying about unused, so it might be worthwhile asking on the BSSO Forum.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby vegansydney » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! The two stands I had issue with have been mentioned above as decent. Maybe I was just unlucky and got the ‘Friday afternoon’ ones that slipped past quality control.

In the past I’ve just welded up the worn feet on OEM ones, and straightened brackets. Unfortunately all my remaining stands have rust pockmarks and I need one that was both functional and aesthetically pleasing, as it’s for a restoration. I’ll search for a OEM one domestically that I can repair.
vegansydney

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3