LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Tubeless rims

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Tubeless rims

Postby Den08 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 pm

i am thinking of going sip or Af tubeless on me GP i have the pm tuning double disc setup is there any problem i may have with clearance with the Valve hitting the callipers and with regards to the
Spare wheel and do i have to carry a tubeless or will a split rim fit the studs ok.
Anybody using this ?
Thanks in advance,
Den
Den08

Re: Tubeless rims

Postby dave999 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:55 pm

I don't know the combination in question
BUT i think a split rim will fit any set of studs you put in unless they have diverted away from the thickness originally used or have more mounting points
the issue is usually the length when used with an Acorn nut...

if you used long studs to fit an aluminium alloy tubeless rim that has a thicker mounting. you will need some extra hardened washers OR nuts that have no dome. i.e NOT acorn nuts.

i.e set of nuts to fit the studs that will not allow the end of the stud to bottom in the dome of the nut before the nut properly clamps the wheel to the hub
any decent steel nuts of correct thread should do the job as a "get you home"

decent set of nylocks new(ish) each time would probably do....but

acorn nuts https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/631919399?iid= ... gImsfD_BwE

a problem with long studs unless you stack up the washers

suggest standard engineering nuts for your emergency spare wheel fitting pack
https://beedspeed.com/products/lambrett ... gLqZvD_BwE

I don't like stainless in this situation unless i know what it is i.e a specification is quoted, although it won't rust it might be soft as cheese...

i like steel proper steel nuts. But that's just me being overly careful.

dave
dave999

Postby Den08 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks dave999
Having studied the setup I have I think that they will be ok as you have said I may have to
Use washers and open nuts on the longer studs with the split rim but hopefully will never need it.
Again thanks for input.
Den08

Postby burnside » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Split rim as a spare is fine as long as you use open nuts, I carry a tubeless spare and use stud connectors and bolts on the spare wheel carrier
burnside

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3