LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Tyre rotation issue

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Tyre rotation issue

Postby Jono » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:59 am

Hi
Recently purchased new Continental conti-twist tyre from SR ( note made in vietnam) .
Note on old tyre taken off an arrow denotes direction of rotation, new tyre shows two arrows with words rear for one direction and an arrow for front in opposite direction.
The tyre I am changing is rear, should front and back be different rotation, this was not the case for tyres currently on scooter they just have one arrow with word rotation .Just a little confused.
Advice appreciated - jono
Jono

Re: Tyre rotation issue

Postby citydaz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:19 am

Yes on Conti-twists the direction of rotation is in the opposite direction for front compared to the rear.
Just follow the direction of the arrow on the tyre appropriate for front and rear.
citydaz

Postby Jono » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks mate for reply
Was confused as old tyres, which are Conti-twist have only one rotation arrow which means tread pattern direction same front and back. If I was changing front and back for new tread pattern would be in opposite direction on front to back.
As I am only changing back and keeping front both patterns will be in same direction. specification must have changed,
Jono
Jono

Postby sunrisemac » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Nowadays it is common on bikes for the direction of rotation for fitment of tyres to front or rear is determined by the consruction of the tyre not the tread pattern, the rear has to put up with acceleration and the front has to deal with most of the braking and both without delaminating
sunrisemac

Postby gizmo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:44 pm

I messed up getting tyres put on sip rims for a pm tuning front disc. The type I have has calliper on left hand side so front wheel comes off on engine side hence wheels different. Only realised when my friendly local dealer had put tyres on and boxed them up :o just as well he's a very fine chap so after he abused me on the phone he did one the other way around.
gizmo

Postby missing lynx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Just a thought, what way round would you put the tyre on your spare (if you carry one) then?
missing lynx

Postby Jono » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:52 pm

Interesting replies ,glade I am only changing rear tyre where direction seems same as Continue- twist that I am taking off.
About to take Scooter for MOT, every year he always checks that tyres are fitted for correct direction of rotation.
I will ask his opinion and seek a further view.
Whilst I respect that construction of tyres may be for specific loadings etc, the Conti- twist tread looks a little strange being opposite to the rear if fitted to the front as markings suggest.
Both original tyres on scooter are Continental made in Germany, apparently they are now manufactured in Vietnam with
Different rotation markings just to confuse - and they have succeeded in my case.
Jono
Jono

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:05 pm

missing lynx wrote:Just a thought, what way round would you put the tyre on your spare (if you carry one) then?

Generally speaking I think you'd use a rear tyre as a spare, as they apparently get more punctures.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby sunrisemac » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Jono wrote: the Conti- twist tread looks a little strange being opposite to the rear if fitted to the front as markings suggest.

I agree with you, have a look at a few current motorcycle tyres front and rear.
sunrisemac

Postby Tractorman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:40 am

This may, of course, be completely irrelevant but in agriculture the tyres are put on the opposite way around if the wheel is not power driven. This is because the reversed tread pattern clears itself of mud etc. better when rotating.
Tractorman

Postby Jono » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:05 am

Had scooter MOT completed, Tester said Continental tyres have been like this for some time. His view was ( as stated in a previous post) tyres are designed for higher performance than required for standard Lambretta. They therefore take into account construction methods and riding load, thus front direction different to rear.
Must be fitted as direction indicates for MOT.
Jono
Jono

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3