LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best Fork Set-Up?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Best Fork Set-Up?

Postby Wee Mark » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Hello Gents
Starting a Series 2 build and I plan to keep it long term so I want to have the best set-up I can....

Is there any advantage in using the GP Style Fork Rods with the loose balls rather than the older style?
Wee Mark

Re: Best Fork Set-Up?

Postby Scooter Paul » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:26 pm

If there is I’m sure it would not be noticeable. I’m sure they changed the design as it was cheaper to make or easier to assemble on the line. Or both.
Scooter Paul

Re: Best Fork Set-Up?

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:35 pm

The fork links for the later, loose ball, have a shallower cup to suit, don't they?

I'm not saying that the later links cannot be fitted with the earlier rods, or vice versa, but always considered the links & rods as a 'set'

Seeing as you ask about the whole fork set up, the best springs I have personally ever used were TV175 S2, which I believe were the original dual rate. No doubt you are aware that the links are highly prized for that model too. I am unaware as to whether TV175 S1 had the same unique components, but perhaps somebody else can enlighten us :?:

There are also (deep groove) ball bearings that fit in place of the plain bearing bushes. I have some somewhere if you want the reference numbers.

I hope this helps :)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3