LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

SIP speedo

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: SIP speedo

Postby nickw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Just an update. My speedo was cooked as shown on Scootronics facebook page. Cannot be repaired.
nickw

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:02 pm

solostax wrote:I note your preferred setups as per the needle indicating RPM and the speed digitally displayed. But surely the needle never goes past the half way point of the meter and as FnF commented ,the digital readout is very small ?.In any configuration of MPH/RPM ,the meter’s needle never ventures past mid way point and therefore half of the display is redundant (but paid for).Further, the running indication is then compressed into half the available dial area ,making precise readings difficult.

So appreciate the comments but still confident that if the SIP speedos were available as previously described ie simulated 70 MPH analogue moving needle, many Lambretta owners would consider replacing their imperfect original and or modifying a SIP . At present the act of fitting the SIP amounts to replacing one imperfect system with another. Just a few points I feel relevant.

If it was felt necessary for the original Lambretta models imported to the UK and USA to be equipped with speedos reading an appropriate MPH range, surely to maintain authenticity these SIP substitutes should also come in that flavour.
Even foreign new cars made for the UK market still have speedos calibrated to MPH.

I hear you my friend. I'm sort of looking at them at the moment. But the face really bugs me. As you say, you'll never use half of it. Like yourself I'd rather have an analogue MPH type face with any other functions relegated to the LED. I did actually email SIP to suggest something like that for the UK market, but I don't think they understood me. Pity, I'd have something like that in a shot.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby neily03 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:
solostax wrote:I note your preferred setups as per the needle indicating RPM and the speed digitally displayed. But surely the needle never goes past the half way point of the meter and as FnF commented ,the digital readout is very small ?.In any configuration of MPH/RPM ,the meter’s needle never ventures past mid way point and therefore half of the display is redundant (but paid for).Further, the running indication is then compressed into half the available dial area ,making precise readings difficult.

So appreciate the comments but still confident that if the SIP speedos were available as previously described ie simulated 70 MPH analogue moving needle, many Lambretta owners would consider replacing their imperfect original and or modifying a SIP . At present the act of fitting the SIP amounts to replacing one imperfect system with another. Just a few points I feel relevant.

If it was felt necessary for the original Lambretta models imported to the UK and USA to be equipped with speedos reading an appropriate MPH range, surely to maintain authenticity these SIP substitutes should also come in that flavour.
Even foreign new cars made for the UK market still have speedos calibrated to MPH.

I hear you my friend. I'm sort of looking at them at the moment. But the face really bugs me. As you say, you'll never use half of it. Like yourself I'd rather have an analogue MPH type face with any other functions relegated to the LED. I did actually email SIP to suggest something like that for the UK market, but I don't think they understood me. Pity, I'd have something like that in a shot.

I'm of the same opinion, the SIP speedo is a good idea but poorly executed for us who need MPH.
neily03

Postby solostax » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks ToBoldlyGo and nelly03 for your similar opinions regarding SIP speedos.
Although banging on this subject since the SIP speedo was introduced ,no substantial modification has been seen.

I note that TBG has enquired of SIP, like myself, regarding possible future supply of an authentic substitute, appropriate to the UK, a MPH speedo similar in form and function as fitted to UK registered scooters. I confirm I also had no response from SIP on this topic.I think that ignoring or dismissing the opportunity leaves the door open to others who could fill the need and capitalize on lucrative sales.

Whilst not “preaching to the (already)converted” but rather to generate more potential customer demand ,I would like to reiterate on what I believe could easily be done to engineer an ideal model and /or modification kit. This could also cater for existing users as a retrofit.
For instance an existing SIP version has a dial face indicating ‘140’ (full scale deflection).This moving needle is switchable to indicate either MPH or RPM .At present ,if used as a speedometer or tacho, the needle is unlikely to venture past midpoint on the scale (unless you are Eric Cope or Keith Terry ) making any meaningful indication more difficult to determine.

However if the dial face plate markings were redrawn as a ‘70’ (full scale deflection) then either another magnet fitted to the ‘pulse source’ or internal reprogramming, the instrument would act and look as the original MPH speedometer.Similarly, if the the meter movement and LED display functions were transposed ,the needle would then give a clearer display to 7000RPM max (instead or 14000RPM) ,which is twice as appropriate to standard or mildly tuned engines.

As hinted by nelly03, if and when a more sensible option became available,I too ,would immediately order 4 such speedos to replace the inaccurate,erratic,originals fitted to my scooters.
Hoping that SIP might take note of potential sales here and look into the subject.!
Perhaps a Show Of Hands in agreement here might motivate SIP to consider both a retrofit kit and new redesigned speedo incorporating this criteria together with ironing out other ‘bugs’ present.

As an aside, when composing text on my phone (small screen,fiddly keypad ) I have been in the habit of increasing the font size to enable checking of what I had written .
Being subscribed to other hobbies / interests I also submitted text to these forums in a similar manner but was mortified to learn this is a no,no and could be taken as a sign of arrogance or anger.
Being guilty of doing the same on this forum (albeit in innocence),I sincerely apologise to anyone who misunderstood this style.
I subscribe to learn ,take advantage of others voluntarily given wisdom and hope that I might also be in a position to offer help.
solostax
solostax

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:23 pm

I shouldn't worry about it. I'm sure we're a more robust bunch on here. :lol:

But, regarding the speedo I feel it is destined to remain a pipe dream. SIP don't get it. After all it does read in both KPH and MPH, so they wouldn't understand what all the fuss is about. And that's fair enough, I suppose. It does look silly though and a waste of space.
ToBoldlyGo

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3