LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Casa 185

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Casa 185

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:11 am

Really, the safest option might be to contact Casa or find their website & see what oil ratio is recommended. Or RLC may be able to clarify.

Whatever may be suggested on this Forum, any kit manufacturer should be prepared be aware of what is best for their product. Ray & Ben Kemp said @ the launch of the RB 250 that 4 % of 'the best' oils would be mandatory for that engine. But the necessity for that was acknowledged as to being due to the Boyeson feeds meaning scant big end lubrication, say, compared to a piston ported engine, like the engine that you have.

I am surprised that it should be necessary for you to be using that amount of oil.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby MickYork » Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 am

I have done 15k+ on 2% Exol fully synthetic on my Avanti, with no major issues. I "gummed" up using 4%.

On strip downs the barrel is nice and sticky with no blueing or signs of wear on the crank.

No rights or wrongs and each engine is different.
MickYork

Postby dscscotty » Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 am

Have you had a good look at the BE bearing, out of the rod or between the oil slots? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't showing signs of over heating/dis-colouration, when splitting cranks I can almost tell whether exol has been used, rollers are dark/blued, cage is black, :roll:
dscscotty

Postby bsso78 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:22 am

Carlube from Tesco £2.99 a litre at 1.5% and my scooter does 90mph in third.
bsso78

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:35 pm

MickYork wrote:I have done 15k+ on 2% Exol fully synthetic on my Avanti, with no major issues. I "gummed" up using 4%.

On strip downs the barrel is nice and sticky with no blueing or signs of wear on the crank.

No rights or wrongs and each engine is different.

Your experience is identical to mine, but with a Rapido 71 x 61.

dscscotty wrote:Have you had a good look at the BE bearing, out of the rod or between the oil slots? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't showing signs of over heating/dis-colouration, when splitting cranks I can almost tell whether exol has been used, rollers are dark/blued, cage is black, :roll:

I have checked the big end on mine & it appears to be good.

I have no idea as to why that should be, other than piston ported engines give the big end a lot of the induction phase (as compared to Boyeson feeds) & I'm riding like a wuss :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3